Ch 2: Sukh Mera Lele, Main Dukh Tere Leloon

Khushi woke up with a strange sensation on her head, dull pain pulsing behind her stitches. Her right arm was in a cast. She tried to raise her left hand but wasn't able to move it either. Arnav was gripping it.

"Arnavji, hamari baat puri nahi hui..." Her whisper was hoarse and weak. [Arnavji, I wasn't done talking...]

"Shut up, Khushi. Don't say anything. Just, don't." Arnav snapped, but there was more concern in his voice than anger.

"Khushi Kumari Gupta Singh Raizada?" The doctor walked, eyes on her file. "Everything looks good. The stitches on your head and plaster on the arm should come off in two to three weeks, so I'll see you then. The sprain on the foot is not too bad but don't strain it just because it's not as severe as the others. I want you to focus entirely on rest. Other than that, you can go home now."

"Thank you, doctor" Arnav said. Excited at the prospect of going home, Khushi jumped out of bed (or as close to that action as her injuries allowed) and promptly cried out in pain as she stumbled. Arnav was immediately by her side, holding her. Khushi stared up at him, confused. Was that concern in his eyes? Could she dare to hope that it was care?

"Are you out of your mind, Khushi? Suna nahi doctor ne kya kaha?"

[Are you out of your mind, Khushi? Didn't you hear what the doctor said?]

No. Of course it was just some twisted sense of responsibility that he would hold against her later.

"Koi zarurat nahi hai. Hum aap pe bojh nahi banna chahte hai. Hume pata hai ki aapko yeh sab karke kitni takhleef ho rahi hogi," [There's no need. I don't want to be a burden on you. I know how much it must be troubling you to do all this for me.] she said, pushing him away. Arnav stepped back, eyes wide.

He was saved the strain of replying as the rest of their family walked in. The room filled with the buzz of fussing voices and worried questions. This time, Khushi let him lead her back to the bed. With so many witnesses she didn't have another choice.

"Yeh sab kaise hua, Khushiji?" Akash asked. [How did all this happen, Khushiji?]

"Woh, bas, hum seediyon par phisal gaye. Par Arnavji the, na toh hume jaldi hospital le aaye. Chinta ki koi baat nahi! Choti-moti si hi toh chot hai." [I just slipped on the stairs. But Arnavji was there so he brought me to the hospital immediately. There's no need to worry! It's just a small injury."] Khushi answered.

"Koi choti-moti chot nahi hai. Humne doctor se baat kar li hai, tumhe sakt aaram ki zarurat hai. Aur tum wahi karogi!" [There's nothing small about it! We have spoken to the doctor. You need strict bedrest. And that is what you will do!] Payal insisted.

"Achha, jiji, jo tum kahogi. Theek hai? Ab ghar chale ki yahi par aur datna hai?" [Okay, jiji, whatever you say. Fine? Now shall we go home or do you want to shout at me some more right here?] Khushi laughed.

---

The full family procession escorted the couple to their room but dispersed soon after. Arnav continued to walk Khushi to the bed when she pushed away from him. Again.

"Aapko yeh sab karne ki aur zarurat nahi hai. Sab chale gaye hai toh yeh jhooti humdardi mat dikhaiye."

[You don't need to do all this anymore. Everyone has gone so don't perform this fake sympathy.]

Arnav stormed off to the recliner by the poolside but his concern for her made sure that he could still see, make sure she was okay.

Exhausted and finally feeling the pain killers wearing off, Khushi couldn't stop her tears anymore. ...

Arnav was so preoccupied by Khushi's evident pain that he did not notice his own reaction until a tear splashed onto his hand.

Yeh kya ho raha hai mujhe? Kyun main use dard mein nahi dekh sakta? [What is happening to me? Why can't I see her in pain?] She deserves this! But there's still a part of me that... He stood up suddenly, as if he could physically banish such sympathetic thoughts. Maybe a drive would clear his head.

--

The next morning, Payal brought up Khushi's breakfast but didn't find her in the room. Arnav was on a phone call.

"Yes, Aman. I will be working from home for the next two weeks at least. Please distribute all in-person meetings between Akash and Mamaji. I do not want to be disturbed." He took off his bluetooth and tossed it onto the bed. He looked questioningly at Payal who had been standing there for a while.

"Hum Khushi ke liye nashta laye hai," [I've brought breakfast for Khushi.] Payal smiled, putting the plate down on the bedside table. "Arnavji, hum aapse kuch baat karna chahte the. Bachpan se Khushi ko lagta hai ki woh sab pe bojh hai. Isliye woh kisise aur madad nahi lena chahti hai. Woh apna dard chupati hai aur puchne par bhi mana kar deti hai. Aap uski suniyega mat."

[Arnavji, I wanted to say something to you. Ever since she was a kid Khushi has felt that she is a burden on other people. That is why she does not want to accept help from anyone else. She hides her pain and denies it even when asked. But you shouldn't listen to her.]

"Don't worry, Payal." Arnav placed a hand on her shoulder for reassurance. She smiled.

"Haan, waise toh hume abhi Khushi ki itni chinta nahi hoti. Kyunki hum jaante hai ki aap usse kitna pyaar karte hai, kitna khayal rakhte hai. Usne apni zindagi mein bahut dukh dekhe har par aapke aa jane se uske haq ki saari khushiyon ke darwaze khul gaye hain."

[Yes, now I am not worried about Khushi anymore. Because I know how much you love her, how much you take care of her. She has faced a lot of pain but ever since you came into her life, she has started to get all the joys she deserves.]

Hearing her sister's voice, Khushi stepped out of the bathroom. "Jiji tum hamari dori... " [Jiji, can you help with the string...]

Payal was not there anymore.

But Arnav was. He walked towards her. She stepped back. When he was close enough, he gently turned her around and tied the string of her kurta. Trying to convince himself the whole time that this was just some practical assistance for someone who had their arm in a cast. After she was confident that she had gotten her heartbeat under control, Khushi turned around.

"Arnavji, aap..." [Arnavji, you...] He didn't let her continue.

"Nashta karlo. Davai bhi khaani hai," [Eat breakfast. You've got to have medicines, too.] he said.

--

Khushi paced by the pool, talking aloud to herself, obviously.

"Hume nahi lagta ki hume Shyamji par bharosa karna chahiye. Kuch aur tareeka sochna hoga, yeh sabit karne ke liye ki Shyamji aur hamare beech kuch nahi hai. Hume Arnavji ka bartav samajh mein hi nahi aa raha hai... Kabhi kuch aur kabhi kuch... Sab dikhawa hai, Khushi... sab dikhawa! Sambhal kar! Jab hum theek ho jayenge, toh unhe yeh jhooti humdardi bhi dikhani nahi padegi. Par hum unki aankhon mein apne liye aur nafrat ya shaq nahi dekh sakte. Humse bardasht nahi hoga. Soch, Khushi, soch!"

[I don't think I should count on Shyamji anymore. I will have to find some other way to prove that there is nothing between mean Shyamji. I don't understand Arnavji's behaviour...Completley unpredictable... It's all an act, Khushi...just an act! Be careful! When I'm better, he won't have any need for this fake sympathy. But I can't stand seeing hatred and doubt for me in his eyes anymore. Think, Khushi, think!]

"What the—" Arnav said, angry at seeing Khushi mumbling by the pool in clear defiance of the doctor's instructions.

He stormed up and grabbed her uninjured arm.

"Kya kar rahi ho tum?" [What are you doing?]

"Hum—" [I—]

"Rehne do." [Let it be.] His dismissal was quick and sharp as he picked her up and carried her back to the bed.

Khushi was speechless, eyes wide and baffled. But her hand came up to grab his collar for support anyway. Arnav relaxed under the implied trust of this reflexive action.