Ch 9: Main Koi Aisa Geet Gaun Ki Aarzoo Jagaun

NK screamed. Khushi ran out of the kitchen to the living room.

"Nanheji! Kya hua?"

[Nanheji! What happened?]

"Mera ankle twist ho gaya! Aap ke paas koi balm hai? Oh, Khushiji, it hurts so much!" [I twisted my ankle! Do you have any balm? Oh Khushiji, it hurts so much!] NK complained as he hobbled over to the sofa.

"Hum abhi lekar aate hai!" [I'll get it right now!] Khushi said, already running upstairs. Akash, who had been watching from behind the pillar, sent a quick text to Arnav.

--

Khushi opened her cupboard. And gasped. Arnav was inside. Smiling. She almost smiled back, reminded of the time she had hid from him in the same cupboard.

Arnav hopped out, causing her to jump back in alarm.

"Hum dono ne aaj tak joh joh ek saath kiya hai, bas wahi yaad dilane ki koshish kar raha hoon. Kal ke liye sorry. Main chhata hoon tumhe hamare achhe moments yaad rahe. Kuch yaad aaya?"

[I'm just trying to remind you of the things we've done together. Sorry for yesterday. I want you to remember our good moments. Did you remember something?]

"Nahi." [No.] she said, walking around him to her cupboard. She took the balm and went to the living room. Arnav followed her.

NK stood up when he saw them. "Arey Khushiji, mera pair theek ho gaya!" [Arey Khushiji, my foot is fine now!]

"Achha... theek hai," [Oh...okay,] she said, putting the balm down on the coffee table. Behind her, Arnav gestured to Akash to put Plan #2 into motion.

"Khushi bhabhi!" Akash called as he walked up to her.

"Bhabhi? Kyun maska laga rahe ho, devarji?" [Bhabhi (sister-in-law)? Why are you trying to butter me up, devarji (brother-in-law)?] Khushi laughed. He always called her that when he wanted something from her.

"Mujhe aapki help chahiye! Bahut badi problem ho gayi hai. It's an emergency!" [I need your help! There is a big problem. It's an emergency!] Akash said.

"Kya hua? Kuch bataiye toh." [What happened? Tell me properly.] Khushi asked with concern.

Meanwhile, Arnav took advantage of Khushi's distraction and picked up a corner of her dupatta.

"Payal mujhse naraaz hai! Mujhe samajh mein nahi aa raha use kaise manau. Aap hi meri help kar sakti hai!"

[Payal is mad at me! I don't know what to do. Now only you can help me.]

Arnav tried to get the dupatta stuck on his cufflink but it just wouldn't stay.

"Zaroor! Aap bilkul theek jagah aaye hai. Aap toh jaante hai, hamare plan kabhi fail nahi hote. Aur hamari jiji hai! Koi aur kaise mana sakta hai?"

[Of course! You came to the right place. You know that my plans never fail. She is my jiji! How can anyone else cheer her up?]

Arnav rolled his eyes at her monologue. Then went back to work. The dupatta just wouldn't stay. He even tried to hook it onto his watch.

"Haan, toh vistaar se bataiye kya pareshani hai." [Yes, Tell me in detail what the problem is.] Khushi said.

Now Akash looked panicked. He hadn't anticipated having to actually come up with a detailed story for Khushi.

"Woh...woh...main office se late aaya tha na...toh..." [I...I...I was late from work today...so...] Arnav realised that Akash had reached the end of his line. This was taking too long.