XXXVI

TW: past trauma

The sun peeked through the thick clouds, the dark of the night finally embracing a light grey, dawn gracing the snow dusted lands as Louis drives to the hospital at a hazardous speed, probably breaking every rule that exists. He doesn't stop until he is parking his car, urgent feet running 'til he finds Liam, sitting where Louis last saw him, in the private lounge, face hidden in his hands. But what startles Louis is Stephanie Ramirez, sitting next to Liam like the most gracious snake, trademark ruby lips whispering to Liam.

"Li?" Louis calls out, fazed mind running with dark thoughts, body involuntarily numbing. "Lou," he hears Liam say and then feels two strong arms wrap around him, making him stumble a few steps before he holds the boy firmly, fingers clutching his jacket tight. "Why'd you call me- Where's Z? How is he? Is he alrigh-" "Lou, breathe," Liam cuts him off with concern, making Louis realise he was running out of breathe, heartbeat racing harshly.

"Is he a-alright?" Louis asks after a moment of just holding the taller boy, neither of the two making an attempt to let go. "He's not," Liam says, sniffling into Louis' (Harry's) jumper, "but he's going to be. They've removed the bullet successfully. He's lost a lot of blood but he'll survive, just needs some proper rest." He completes, gradually loosening his hold but not breaking the embrace entirely. "Yeah?" Louis says in a teary chuckle, joyous tears spilling from his blues, "fucker's got a thick skin, gonna take more than a pussy bullet to kill his billion dollar arse." He croaks, tears silently falling on Liam's jacket.

"Sweet Mother Mary, some might get the wrong idea seeing you two in this state," Louis hears Stephanie say, a small whoosh making her presence known. Louis and Liam let go before both turn to face Stephanie, dressed in all black like an attendee of a funeral. "What are you doing here?" Is the first thing Louis says, eyes shooting daggers at the lady in black. Stephanie doesn't change, lips still carrying her smirk and dark eyes blank, "welcoming as always, Tomlinson," she says, placing a kiss on both of Louis and Liam's cheeks. Of-fucking-course.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Louis grumbles, rubbing the lip stain off his cheek. "Can I see Zayn?" Louis asks, changing the topic, clearly wanting to escape the snake that he has come to know as the harbinger of bad news. "yes, you can but, erm, he's not awake yet, he's resting so, yeah," Liam says, voice clearly down and eyes betraying his brave stance. Louis gives his hand a tight squeeze and Stephanie a forced smile before he follows the brown-eyed boy.

Room 276, Louis reads, grasping the cold handle before entering the lavish VIP suit. His eyes roam around the large room, teak wood walls and flooring with complimenting furniture. The first thing Louis sees is the ginormous flatscreen and a pair of lounge chairs with a coffee table in front, beside the sitting area is a small slab holding a mini fridge and a cabinet above carrying the essentials. Then his eyes falls on the door separating the waiting room from the main room, where Zayn is resting.

Opening the door, Louis' ears are met with beeps of the heart monitor, air warmed by the heater. The room is similarly decorated, expensive paintings adorning the wooden walls. In the middle of the room lays Zayn, motionless and connected to countless wires on a grand bed, machines surrounding his resting. It's the silence that breaks Louis a little, then a look at a helpless Liam just staring at Zayn's unmoving body, eyes shining with fighting tears is what breaks Louis all together.

"I'm sorry," Louis whispers, balling his hands tight and letting the tears roll down his tired cheeks. "So fuckin' sorry," he repeats, breathing in deeply and exhaling, stepping closer to Zayn. "It's not your fault," Liam says. Louis simply nods, knowing damn well it is his fault, he could have moved if he wasn't lost in his thoughts, he could have stopped it all, just like he could have saved his mum.