Downtown

The week of Thanksgiving has got to be one of the most useless weeks of school to exist.

Two days.

Two school days where we did absolutely nothing. A few went to school (like Luke) so their attendance records didn't look bad.

Most people didn't show up, so I didn't see the problem with me not showing up on Tuesday. I skipped the due date for that English paper and I didn't really care, even if I did stress over it a bunch until now. The paper itself was finished but somehow I was unsatisfied with the final product and wanted to wait until next week to turn it. Something was just missing from it.

Ashton 9:24 am: Hey

Ashton 11:23 am: Hi

Ashton 12:01 pm: Michael and Luke look sad without you at their table. Where are you? Making out with Sammy in the bathroom?

Ashton 12:03 pm: Sounds very unsanitary.

Ashton 2:44 pm: Hey Sage

Sadly Ashton was one of those people who could not take a hint when you didn't respond to them. I was almost embarrassed for him because of that.

Ashton 3:15 pm: Just got out of school if you care.

Arrie 3:17 pm: Can you bring me some soup? I can't move.

Sage 3:17 pm: Yeah just give me five minutes to finish cleaning the puke on the bathroom floor. I'll have to drown myself in bleach to make sure I'm clean after this.

Cleaning up puke from the floor was not how I pictured starting my Thanksgiving break. I thought that I'd maybe sleep past noon and stay in my pajamas all day, receive a few harassing texts from Michael and Luke, but Arrie's sick self had different plans for me.

On Wednesday morning I was awoken by the doorbell. I had fallen asleep in the living room with Arrie. He on one couch and I on another. He had someone drop off a movie he had been dying to see and he made me sit in the living room with him and watch it. I fell asleep like two minutes into the film.

I stretched in the position I lied in on the couch. The only thing keeping this from a beautiful moment was Arrie's loud snoring. As I started to the door I tossed a pillow at Arrie's face to mask the obnoxious nose leaving him.

Ahead of answer the door I pulled the hem of my shirt down and rubbed my eyes to get rid of any weird looks I might be holding in them.

"Why are you ignoring me?" Ashton stepped in my house.

Our shoulders briefly brushed as he pushed by me and acted like he was welcome here.

"Because...I can?" I cleared the grogginess from my throat as I shut the door. The harsh sun was too much for my eyes that were still trying to adjust to barely waking up.

"What did I do to you?" He removed a gray beanie from his head. His hair flying in random directions, making him look as if he didn't put much care into his appearance. And scruff. He was the first seventeen year old I had met that managed to have a great amount of scruff. If I didn't know Ashton I would've guessed he was around Arrie's age.

"Shouldn't you be with Veronica right now?" I banged my head on the door when Ashton started walking to the kitchen, forcing me to follow behind him if I wanted to hear his response.

"Hey Ashton." My dad nodded his head, raising his mug of coffee.

"Hey Skylar." Ashton sent a similar nod to my dad while he served himself some coffee.