Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was always the most extravagant holiday spent with the Hemmings and the Clifford's. Every detail down to the place mats on the table were carefully chosen and very expensive. There was even a seating chart that Liz began working on months before November because she wanted everything to be perfect. Liz and Karen were keen on making Thanksgiving look like something right out of a magazine. Of course, once upon a time, Sienna would help them too, but this year had been filled with many changes, many up's and down's that caused Liz and Karen to decide Sienna wouldn't be apart of the planning or cooking. Sienna talked ill upon the two other mom's at the beginning of the year, they found out, and chose to keep her negative energy out of Thanksgiving. Sienna could show up, but she couldn't help. There wasn't room for fuck up's.

To top of the Thanksgiving-magazine feel of the holiday; the moms always wanted everyone to dress their best. One year they even made a mandatory color scheme for us to go off of, that made it hard for anyone to find something to wear. Luke and Michael actually ended up in identical outfits that year and Michael was ready to kick Luke's ass. I wanted this year to be a better celebration. No arguments. But it was hard to think of a world so perfect when everything was going to shit lately.

"Are you ready?" Arrie pushed me out of the mirror to stare in disgust at the blazer that my dad had lent him. Arrie had told my dad many times that he wasn't going to show up to Thanksgiving lunch because he wasn't family nor did he really know anyone that would be there, but dad insisted Arrie show up, while at the same time my mother disapprovingly shook her head, but didn't say a word.

I secured a pair of sandals on my feet, not caring to pair my floor length dark teal dress with heels because somehow Michael, Luke, and I always ended up in the Luke's spacious backyard running around like we were five year old's playing tag and I hated to poke holes in the ground in his backyard with heels.

"Not at all." I slipped on a gold bangle bracelet, placing it just below where my inner elbow started.

"I'm not either." Arrie combed back his hair. He added just a touch of gel to lock his style in place with an effortless look, aiming to try just a tiny bit for the occasion.

Lastly, I pushed a pair of leopard sunglasses on and dragged some lip balm across my lips, hoping to feel somewhat confident in how today was going to go.

"We're just waiting on you two." Dad announced then left the room, probably to help Sienna in some dress that she wasn't deserving of.

I was still upset about the whole Sienna thing, so greatly that I hadn't told him happy birthday or spoken a word to him this morning. Any questions were answered with head movements or humming. Same for Sienna. Things were so bad in the house this morning that I began to grow uncomfortable in my own house.

I placed my phone and lip balm in a clutch and held it under my arm and grabbed hold of Arrie's inner elbow as we walked downstairs. Whether I hated it or not, Arrie was any and all security I had. Nothing could happen as long as he was around, that I believed now. I was untouchable to Sienna when Arrie was next to me.

"Sage, that dress is too revealing." Sienna pointed out as I walked right past her.

My entire back was exposed in this dress, only two thin straps held the dress up. I liked it. I found it last month on a shopping trip with Sammy and Lydia and they agreed that I needed it. I knew Liz and Karen would love it, so Sienna's opinion really didn't matter.

I sat in the very back of the chosen SUV with Arrie, wanting as much distance between me and my parents. I almost chose to drive to Luke's house myself, but opted not to be an absolute brat today and cooperate a little.