18: 𝚋𝚛𝚞𝚒𝚜𝚎𝚜

Y/n found herself standing slightly behind her father, Luke Maybank, in the police station, both of them going to pick up JJ. Tears pooled in her e/c eyes as she nervously bit her nail, waiting for her older brother to come up. Eventually, a familiar head of blonde hair walked out of the sheriff's office, where she immediately tackled her brother in a hug, feeling him instantly hug back, holding her close and away from their father, who glanced between his kids.

Looking down at his baby sister, JJ noticed newly fresh bruises and cuts laying on her face, no doubt being from the man in front of them. Y/n remembers it clearly. She got home, informing Luke about what happened to her brother, and he got... mad. She was terrified.

"You his guardian?" An officer asks, glancing at the older man.

"Sorry to say, I'm his father." Luke replies.

"Well, hearing will be in two weeks. If you fail to show up, you will forfeit your bail. The restitution will be based on the average of three outside estimates of the cost of the damaged article." The officer explains.

"Restitution?" Luke interrupts, speaking over her.

"Pay for what he broke. It's part of the plea." The officer replies, making the man practically glare at his son. "Yeah, and... sign right here, please."

Quickly, Luke signs his name on the piece of paper before dropping the pen on the clipboard, the officer taking it back. The Maybank siblings could practically see the smoke leaving his ears as he turned to his kids.

"Let's go. Go now!" Luke demands.

Slowly, JJ keeps an arm around his sister as they leave the police station, the siblings and their father walking towards their car.

"I wonder what restitution's gonna be on a 2019 Malibu." Luke states.

"I'll pay it off. All of it. I swear, Dad." JJ replies.

"Shit. 30K? When you gonna clear that, big guy, when all you do is smoke weed and hang out on the south side?" Luke reminds, then glancing at his daughter. "You too, missy. Get in the car."

Hesitantly, they get in the vehicle, Y/n sitting right behind her brother in the back seat as JJ sat in the passenger's. Both siblings knew something was about to happen.

"Dad, I swear--" JJ begins.

All of a sudden, Luke's fist meets his son's face, blood splattering all over the window. Luke leans over, continuing to hit and beat the blonde. With wide eyes, Y/n intervened, trying to pull her father off her brother, only for his hand to meet her face, sending her back against the seats.

"Don't touch her, please!" JJ pleads.

Luke ignores both his kids as he continues hitting his son, Y/n backing up, knees tucking against her chest, knowing JJ wouldn't want her getting anymore hurt like she already was, and it wasn't even her fault.

***

The three Maybank's found themselves back at their house, rock music loudly playing throughout the whole structure. Y/n sat on her bed in her room, tears continuously falling as she listens to her father scream at his son, who was also in his room.

Right as they got home, JJ practically forced his sister into her room, wanting nothing more than for her to be away from their father. The sounds of pounding against the wall and JJ's voice rings through the air, adding it to the rock music.

After a long while, Y/n had her head tucked in-between her legs as she softly rocked back and forth. The rock music had stopped playing, no shouting, nothing but silence filling the air in the Maybank household. Suddenly, her bedroom door opens and on instinct, she flinches before a hand softly rests on her hand, making her look up, seeing JJ sitting on the edge of her bed. The boy's cheeks was wet with tears, along with hers.