Aftermath

Mike Knight stiffly grunted opening the front door; Saturday evening breeze gently tickled his wrinkled face.

Without Ingrid home, he's free taking peaceful walks without hearing her never ending chattering. She started grocery shopping four minutes ago, and he plans to enjoy the quietness.

Mike begins walking down the long sidewalk forming a lap around their neighborhood. Ingrid always says they should exercise more to keep good health.

He wouldn't mind strolling through the area more together, only if she would stop nagging.

"Good evening, Mr. Knight!" 13 year old neighbor Cody Andrews waved, noticing Mike passing by.

"Evening Cody," Mike softly said. "Isn't it too late to stay out during a school night?" He leaned against the chopped, white wooden fence.

"School starts August 23. Three weeks left." Cody, kindest kid on the street, said meeting Mike at the fence.

"Ah, my grandson, Neal, starts school soon." Mike hardly believed his little grandsons is beginning freshman year.

"Neal Knight?" Cody hummed. "They mentioned his name on tv!"

"You might have heard wrong, he's spending the night with his brother and older cousin. Surely they're not doing anything newsworthy." Mike loved how kids used their crazy imaginations.

"Honestly sir! His name was mentioned in a restaurant attack!" Mike wasn't convinced, but decided to check Cody's wild statement.

"Alight Cody, show me the news." He knew his three grandsons weren't in danger; nothing terrible happened around town. Might as well check, Cody seemed eager showing him.

They entered the house, Cody's parents were absent as the couple spent Saturday nights together with adult friends.

"I was flipping channels, and thought I recognized Neal's name!" Cody  claimed, grabbing the living room television remote.

Volume up, and news reporter speaking, Mike watched and listened.

"Six minutes ago,  an attacker officially identified as John Scott brought mayhem at a family restaurant. Witnesses reported him killing a human staff worker, and injuring two male giants. One giant received severe head trauma, and the second shot—excuse me? Oh, both men have been identified as Finn and Sam Knight; the human Neal Knight mentioned before as an eyewitness, is riding in an ambulance along Finn and Sam. It's unclear if Finn Knights gunshot wound will be deadly. Other reporters—"

No, they confused the three boys with someone else. Finn, Sam, and Neal are safe, they're enjoying dinner and movies.

A sharp pain grabbed his chest and Mikes heart pounded rapidly. "T...their...safe...nothing bad happens..."

The pain grew worse, and his pulses faster.  Stress filled Mike's heart, and his mind swirled uncontrollably.

"Mr. Knight, what's wrong?" Cody guided onto the old ,green rocking chair.

"Oh my God, are you dying?!" He feared.

"Nah," Mike huffed painfully. "I'll live, but kid I need your...GRR!"