9

"Where did captain America learn how the steal a car?" Nat asked. They were in a blue truck thing (Basil had no clue about types of cars). Nat had claimed shot gun so he was sprawled out in the back seats while Steve drove. It was late in the afternoon and he was chewing on his second bag of haribo. Nat turned to him as the bag crinkled. He passed her a handful of gummy bears. "I'd expect it from Basil, but I like being surprised".

"Don't look at me, I'm gay", Basil called out. "I'm gay and I don't know shit about cars. Give me a who's bleeding to death and I'm fine. But a car, nope". He threw up a gummy bear and caught it in his mouth. He held his arms out in triumph.

"Nazi Germany and were borrowing", Steve corrected. "Take your feet off the dash and Basil don't get gummy bears every where". Nat did what he said as Basil pouted.

"Alright", she said. "I have a question for you, which you do not have to answer. I feel like if you don't answer it though, it feels like you're kinda answering it".

"What?" Steve interrupted.

"Was that the closest you've come to a kiss since 1945?"

"I've kissed dozens of people since 1945", Basil answered. "Like man. This guy I picked up at that gay club last week, like wow. He was hot. He picked me up, which was amazing. Damn. The way he threw me on the bed. Gosh"-

"I already know about your sex life sweetie", Nat called. "I'm talking about Golden boy here".

"That bad huh?" Steve laughed.

"You froze like a deer in headlights", Nat teased.

"Well it was the first time a guy had kissed me. I think that would be allowed".

"We didn't kiss. It was a fake kiss", Basil reminded.

"It wasn't my first kiss since 1945. I'm 95. I'm not dead".

"I'm definitely not", Basil added.

"Nobody special then?" Nat asked. Steve chuckled.

"It's kinda hard to find someone with shared life experiences. The only one I know is the wrong gender".

"Aww Steve", Basil sat up. "Does that mean you would date me if I was a straight female?" Steve just laughed.

"And what about you Basil?" Nat turned to grin at him. "You got somebody special?"

"I did. He died. Now I don't date. I have sex but no. Dating is off the table for me", Basil grinned. Nat shrugged.

"Fair enough". She turned back to Steve. "You could just make something up".

"What, like you?"

"The truth is a matter of circumstance. It's not all things to all people all the time", Nat said lightly. "Neither am I".

"That's a tough way to live", Steve had gone into his serious understanding voice.

"It's a good way not to die though".

"You know it's kinda hard to trust someone when you don't know who that person really is".

"Yeah. Who do you want me to be?" Nat asked. Her voice softer.

"How bout a friend?" Steve asked.

"Well there's a chance you might be in the wrong business Rogers", Nat grinned. "What about you Basil?"

"I thought we were already bitchy best friends?" Basil frowned as he leaned forwards to stick his head between their seats. "Who else is going to call me Baby boy, non sexually, and listen to me gossip about my hook ups?"