17

The Soldier, The asset, sat back in the chair as men fixed his arm. His gaze was fixed blandly on the grimy tiles of the opposite wall. Around him hydra agents stood with their backs to him. All watching the entrances. It was silent. Other than the sparking of the electrical tools that were being used on the metal arm. It was damp and cold in that room but The Soldier didn't seem to feel it on the bare skin of his chest. His mind was elsewhere. He glanced slightly. A tilt of his head. The action going unnoticed as he glanced down at his right arm. There, right under the elbow was scarred white lines. The raised flesh of a removed tattoo. Still just about visible. The lines now white instead of coloured. A round sun with fire branching out and the shape of a small bird in the middle. The man on the bridge had the same tattoo on his left arm. The man who he hadn't been able to kill.

"I want a sun. A small sun. A circle surrounded by flames".

The voice echoed unbidden in his head. Before he knew it he was sitting forwards. The action knocking off the tools on his arm. His head hurt. There was wind and snow. The blonde man on the bridge calling out "Bucky!". A man with glasses smiling at him gleefully. Screaming. A young face. The man with the tattoo, but younger. Golden skin and warm green eyes. Smiling at him as he cuddled in closer. More screaming. The sensation of falling. Pain. Being dragged through snow. "The procedure has already started". The man with the glasses again. Something drilling into his arm. Metal replacing flesh. "You are to be the new fist of hydra".

Laughing. There was someone laughing. Wild, scared laughter. Singing. Golden skin covered in grime and a small body fighting against the hood of black clothed men. Green eyes searching for him as he was dragged further and further away. "We'll meet again. Don't know where. Don't know when". More laughter. The boy was screaming. Curls matter with sweat. Body strapped down to a metal table, skin pale and eyes bright with tears. "Sarge. Could you tell me a story Sarge?" The voice broke. "Please. I'm cold". The man walking with him through the woods. Grin happy and a white band around his arm, emblazoned with a Red Cross. "Can I have a kiss Sarge?"

"Hey Sarge!"

"Bucky, I'm fine".

"Can I have a kiss?"

"Love you Sarge".

Pain. The soldier thrust his arm out and the scientists fell over. The tools all clattering to the floor. Instantly all the hydra officers around him turned and clicked the safety off their guns as they turned. The solider wasn't aware of this. He could still feel snow. Cold. Warm arms hugging him. Laughter. Happy laughter, manic laughter. Voices. Singing. Hymns sung with and echoey chorus. "You're taking all the stupid with you". A blonde man. Small and slight, waving at him. The blonde man but bigger. It didn't make sense. The voices clamoured in his mind. It didn't make sense. Someone was reading a book out loud. Frankenstein. "As long as you don't try to kill me, I won't bite you".

"You gave me permission to bite people who are trying to kill me Sarge".

The bite Mark was still red on his wrist. Teeth in his flesh. The bleeding had stopped and it was healing but it would scar. The Soldier knew when injuries would scar and when they would heal without a mark. For some reason he wanted this to scar. There was a feeling when he looked at the bite. It was light for once. Amusement? Fondness? It had been so long since he had felt anything. The man on the bridge. Curls now cut short and green eyes dark. Blood on his lips and on his teeth as he smiled. Did he know him?

"But my friends call me Basil".

The door banged as his handler, his master, entered the room. Pierce looked at him and pulled off his glasses. He led up his hands and the hydra agents put away their weapons. "Mission report", he instructed. Silence. "Mission report. Now!"

The soldier knew that he should be talking. But the words weren't coming. Pierce took a few steps closer and bent down to look him in the face. A second of silence. His hand stuck out like a snake and the harsh noise of the slap echoed off the walls. The soldier jerked to the side. He frowned. "The men on the bridge", he stated. "Who were they?"

"Bucky?"

"You met them earlier this week on another assignment", Pierce replied. The soldier's eyes flickered round the room.

"I knew them. I think", he broke off. Paused. Eyes flickering. The words were on his tongue. He swallowed. The words were weird. "I think that the man with green eyes. I loved him". Another slight frown. Love? What was love? What were these emotions? He didn't know.

"Sargent James Buchanan Barnes".

"Corporal Jahi Basilton Parrish".

Pierce dragged over the stool the scientist was using and sat down in front of him. "Your work has been a gift to mankind", he stated. "You shaped the century. And I need you to do it one more time. Society's at a tipping point between order and chaos and tomorrow morning we're going to give it a push. But if you don't do your part. I can't do mine. And Hydra can't give the world the freedom it deserves".

"I'm with you to the end of the line Pal".

"Let's here it for captain America!"

The Soldier turned his head slightly. "But I knew them". Blink. Frown. "I loved one". It was a fact. He knew it now. He had loved somebody once. Laughter, green eyes and a wide smile.

"Can I have a kiss Sarge?"

Pierce sighed in disappointment. He stood up. "Prep him".

"He's been out of cryo freeze for too long", one of the scientists voiced.

"Don't move Sarge! Trust me".

"Then wipe him and start over", Pierce ordered.

"We'll meet again. Don't know where"-

The scientists came forwards and pushed him back into the chair. The Soldier opened his mouth for the gum shield as the heavy iron manacles locked into place. He couldn't move. Above him the machine whirred as it tilted down to his head. The soldier began breathing heavily as the electric panels folded out. He could hear it sparking. "Could you tell me a story Sarge?" The panels fitted round his head and the electricity sparked. The Soldier screamed.

"But I know we'll meet again. Some sunny day".

Unedited

AN: More angst anyone?