twenty

LIGHTS UP
twenty | ❝We're hardly lovey-dovey.❞

                "IF THIS guy was flying planes for Ward, he's gotta be pretty tight-lipped," Pope states from his spot in the passenger seat of Kiara's car

In order to clear John B's name, they've gotta start somewhere. When they discussed it, Pope pointed out that what they really need is a material witness to testify that it really was Rafe and not John B that killed Peterkin. The only other witness they have left, besides the people behind the actual murder, is the pilot of the plane, a man named Gavin Barnstead. So, they're on their way to his house now to complete phase one of the plan.

The plan is risky, but at this point Wes thinks it's worth it. John B deserves to come home. So does Sarah.

"So then direct approach gets my vote," JJ replies, bringing out the gun that Wes has seriously grown to hate. He glances sideways at the weapon, grimacing at it.

"No, what!" Kiara quickly objects.

"Put the gun down!" Pope agrees, sounding more so annoyed than anything.

"JJ," Wes warns, turning to the boy next to him and giving him a pointed look.

JJ huffs, putting the gun away. He slums back against his seat before he lolls his head to look at Wes. "We gotta keep this simple, or else we'll never get John B off."

"You think waving a gun around keeps things simple?" Wes asks flatly.

"And efficient, yes," JJ chirps, his voice teasing as he sends a wink in Wes' direction, smiling when Wes rolls his eyes at him.

"Or, we just tickle the wire," Pope shrugs, pulling out Kiara's AirPods.

Wes' brows draw together, him and JJ sharing a look. "We just- what?"

"We tickle the wire," Pope repeats, like it sounds any better the second time. "I plant my phone in his car, and then we listen in on your AirPods," he puts the AirPods on and holds his phone to Kiara's mouth. "Say something."

"Something."

"Okay. We have audio."

Wes' knee bounces anxiously as the drive continues. He still can't even fully believe the last couple of hours. The way that this day so far has, just, changed everything entirely.

He's overjoyed to know John B and Sarah are okay. But it all just gives him this feeling of determination, one that he hasn't felt since they were trying to get the gold. It feels necessary that they clear John B's name, so that him and Sarah can come home.

"What's wrong?" He feels a hand on his bouncing knee, and it stills instantly.

He turns to JJ and shakes his head. "Nothing. I'm glad we're doing this. Just, it's been a minute since we've done any type of, like, law breaking and shit. I don't really want any more run-ins with the cops."