fourteen

LIGHTS UP
fourteen | ❝Everything's okay now. I promise, I got you.❞

               "LOOK, HE'LL come around, alright? It's

"LOOK, HE'LL come around, alright? It's... He's doing a JJ thing," John B's voice was almost entirely drowned out by Wes as he avoided his gaze.

They were at The Wreck, they'd come here after leaving Barry's. Wes hadn't spoken a word the entire time they'd been there, as well as the entire ride over.

If he was being honest, the gold was probably the last thing he cared about right now. Well, that was a stretch, he still cared about getting the gold- it just wasn't nearly at the top of his priorities at the moment.

He wanted to go home and get so drunk or high that he'd forget everything that just happened.

They had been good, things had finally been falling into place with JJ and now it was ruined all over again.

He sat back in seat and stared at the table, seriously contemplating if he should bail.

"You think he'll go home?" Kiara asked.

"There's about a zero percent chance that JJ goes home," Pope spoke from where he stood, looking out the window.

"You okay?" John B asked Sarah,  concerned for his girlfriend's state.

"Yeah," she told him with a nod, "are you?"

"I mean, I'm in one piece, so...." He gave her a soft smile, which she returned.

"Okay," Pope began pacing, "it's too dangerous to pawn this thing off piecemeal. So our best bet if to go down there and get the rest of it. Bring it all up at once. Put it in- in a safe or a vault or something. I- I don't know. Just until we can find someone who won't rip us off. Okay, I can go figure it out tonight, get it done, and we can be out there as early as tomorrow morning."

"Alright, let's do it," John B nodded, liking the plan.

"Easy."

"Let's go."

"What about the thing with my dad?" Sarah reminded John B.

"Shit," John B cursed, obviously having forgotten whatever this thing had been.

"What thing?"

"I have to go fishing with Ward," John B didn't sound too particularly enthusiastic, but Wes couldn't blame him.

"You can't get 400 mil 'cause you're gonna go kill fish?" Kiara asked.

"Look, I have to go," John B sighed.

"Blow it off," Pope told him, "it's 400 million in gold!"

"Make something up!" Kiara agreed.

"Look, I- I have to, okay? He.. He saved me, alright? And if it weren't for Ward I'd be in foster care. So... I have to go. Plus, it'll be better to do it at night. Right?"