five

LIGHTS UP
five | ❝I got you, you're alright.❞

                "DCS! I know you're in there!" JJ yelled as he slammed his palm on John B's door

"Jeez, JJ, you're gonna give him a heart attack," Wes shook his head at the blonde as he read the summons notice from the actual DCS that was on the door.

"Watch this," JJ grinned.

The boy then jumped up to the window and scared John B.

"Whoa!"

"Gotcha, slick," JJ laughed uncontrollably, "you shoulda seen your face!"

After that, the three boys got into John B's van. They were on their way to go talk to Ms. Lana, Scooter's widow, about why he would have Big John's compass on his boat.

"I'm just saying, like, I don't understand why you don't at least try with Kiara," JJ told John B, "she clearly likes you. She's like, 'Oh, John B.'," he tried to impersonate the girl.

"Is that what she does?"

"She's sketching about you diving, then she kissed you, bro!"

"She kissed me on the cheek," John B corrected, "it's not like we were makin' out or something!"

"Low-hanging fruit, bro! Don't pretend that you don't notice!"

Wes grimaced. If in JJ's logic, Kiara kissing John B on the cheek meant she liked him, what the fuck did JJ kissing Wes on the lips mean?

That he was drunk. And high. That's what it meant. He wasn't himself when he did it.

Wes always had to be quick to shut down any ounce of hope that stirred inside him. He desperately wished he could be like JJ and just not remember the kiss at all.

"I see it in your eyes, you're like, 'I kinda like that', and you start blushing and shit."

"I blush?"

"Yeah! Right, Wes?"

Wes nodded. "You blush, bro."

JJ then grabbed the compass form the dashboard, making John B quickly try to snatch it from him.

"Hey, don't—"

"I was just looking at it!" JJ pushed him off, holding the compass in his hands. "I gotta admit, your father's compass in Scooter's boat, that's freaky."

"For real," Wes agreed, "how'd you think it ended up there?"

"That's why we're going to talk to Ms. Lana, figure this whole thing out," John B answered.

"I'm sure she would just love to talk to us. It's not like her husband just drowned or anything."

When they arrived at Ms. Lana's, the three exited the van and looked at the house.