Chapter 22

What did it feel like to grow up as a normal kid, with parents and uncles and aunts and cousins? Mako didn't have the answer. He always had Bolin, his boyish little brother he wouldn't trade the world for. Out of the pair, Mako was always the responsible one. It was expected out of the older brother, of course. He pulled a serious face, he fought off bullies trying to get to his little bro, and he watched out for the both of them 24/7. He'd often think how easy it would be to lay back like a boy his age should, enjoy school, and worry about surviving later. That's not allowed at the academy. Mako couldn't afford to get him and Bolin kicked out. The academy was the only place they could remotely call home.

The two brothers grew up in the sewers. Mako would never go back there again. Never in his life. They were both seven when the Academy found them. Fight evil, maintain balance? Sure, beats the streets. Besides, their parents were murdered when they were both four. Mako would find justice somehow.

As the years progressed, Mako grew. He still had a lot to learn, but he learned to love his brother and he learned to stop being protective of Bolin. He knew Bolin could protect himself, and he couldn't keep him sheltered forever. They were both 18 when they graduated.

Their first mission was with a talented young captain of their age. Mako had seen her once, in the academy. No one talked to her as she was alien compared to them. The best cadet. Mako had half a mind to talk to her back then, but thought better of it.

When they learned that Tenzin was responsible for thousands of citizens' deaths, Mako's world flipped upside-down. He needed to stop this. Somehow, the ball of flame that had never really been quenched after his parents' death flared brighter than ever. He'd help Korra bring justice back again.

Mako didn't hesitate in joining Korra. Tomorrow night would be the fight of his life. He was prepared. Not this time, he thought. He'll save these people.

 He'll save these people

--

Bolin counted himself lucky. He had a loving and protective bigger brother. When you're an orphan on the streets, that's all you could hope for. He knew it was no coincidence that he always got the bigger portion of food and no coincidence that the bullies who bothered him all had bruises on them the next day. Bolin might not be the smartest person out there, but he wasn't dumb. He loved his brother dearly and would do anything for him to be able to relax for once.

When they were accepted into the Academy, he took it upon himself to improve. He was bulky and clumsy, but Bolin couldn't put more stress on his brother's strained shoulders. He passed his final assessment when he was 18, along with Mako. He'd make his brother proud someday, Bolin decided.

Bolin thought he found true love in Republic City. The young corporal named Opal was so charming and kind. Smart, too. Though not Asami-smart. He kept in touch with her after they left.

When the team found out that Tenzin was supporting the Saviors, Bolin made a decision. He would support his brother, whatever his decision is. And he'd support Korra and Asami through everything. He trusted the three of them, and Bolin is always loyal to his friends.