Chapter 19

I made my way to the door and slowly creaked it open, I peeked around the corner and stepped inside, I saw a dead end on the left that smelt of mold, then to my right, I found stairs, leading down to twists and turns I believe. I sighed out of relief and slowly walked down the stairs that were slippery out of the rain, cold of the narrows, and scary because of how dark it was, and there was no railing for me to hold onto. I whimpered and put my hand to the cold wall to my left, I used it to help me make my way down. I eventually felt my hand leave a trace of the wall, and no more stairs to walk down. I sank my teeth and looked around, it was so dark I couldn't see anything. 

I blinked quickly as I felt around myself, all I could feel is the cold walls. I sighed uneasily, I am scared of being in the dark...Mostly because the rats would always be in the dark...I wish I wasn't alone right now. I continued to feel around myself until I felt a wooden wall. I felt closer and felt a doorknob, finally! A door. But still unsure, I knocked on the door. The sound was hollow, It was a door. I bit my lip and looked for the doorknob against the door, I moved down and felt a rusty doorknob. I smiled and turned it, the door opened. I pushed through quickly and slammed it, the glare of the evening sun darkened in my face. I opened my eyes. 

I was right where I was looking before on the ledge. 

In the middle of the town. Houses all around me. Lights on and off in every house. I could see more bodies hanging in front of me, The university standing out from the cages of rats. I heart pounded as I slowly took out my sling and loaded it with a rock, My heart thumped as I stepped forward closer into the town. 

I moved slowly and looked around me, I heard faint talking not far ahead of me, I took a quiet breath as I continued to walk forward, looking around at the houses. I looked at one to my left, the lights were on. I kept my eye on the brick moldy house, That was where the talking was coming from. I looked to the other house on the side of me and I heard a sound. I jumped, I looked at the house that held faint talking. 

My eyes were wide as I saw a figure appear in the window. 

I locked eyes with the figure. I didn't get a full look, but the figure was  I then ran to cover I hid behind a wall of the house, right behind me. I breathed heavily as I stared down at my sling, I braced to fight the figure. I heard a door open. I managed to keep my breathing slow, I wish Hugo or Ellie or Joel were here to help...I am going to need it. To my surprise, I heard nothing. Just a creaky door opening. And nothing else. 

I shook my head and exited the outside of the wall of the house, Sling still in my hand. 

I glanced and looked at the house einf front of me. The lights were still on. And to my surprise, 

the door was closed. 

I shook my head and trudged on, until I felt hands grab onto my neck.