Chapter 47- For Each Other

I smiled and put the small circled magnifying glasses to my eyes, facing Hugo and smiling. 

''Hey, Hugo! Do you think I'm pretty?'' 

I joked, grabbing Hugo's attention as he stared at me and smiled, laughing. 

''Haha! You look ugly! Really ugly!'' 

He giggled back, I pretended to make a disappointed face and gasp. 

''Oh! Me? Ugly!?'' 

I laughed, still clutching onto the circled magnifying glasses to my eyes, Hugo smiled. 

''Yes! Yes! Really ugly! You look like a big fat fly!'' 

He smiled, I laughed and put the magnifying glasses off my eyes and set them back on the shelf. 

''Ohhh...Such a bad little boy deserves punishment!'' 

I laughed, tickling Hugo happily as I laughed at the pleasure of hearing him laugh hysterically, I guess I achieved my goal of making him laugh! 

Hugo continued to laugh as he pleaded Lucas happily for help, I beamed. 

''Hahaha! Lucas, Help! Hahahaha! The big ugly fly is eating me!!'' 

Hugo laughed to Lucas, Lucas let out a snicker as I giggled in pleasure, Hugo laughing more than I have ever heard him laugh before. I smiled and tickled Hugo more, But eventually my hands gave out and got sore, I laughed and stared at Hugo who recovered from his laughing. 

I let out a small smile as Hugo smiled at me, But it faded when he looked into my eyes. 

''Amicia...'' 

Hugo muttered, I bit my lip. 

''What's wrong?'' I asked, frowning. 

''Amicia...Are we going to be okay?'' 

Hugo innocently asked, I doubted it. 

''Hugo- Of course we are.''

I replied, trying to smile. 

Hugo shook his head. 

''Amicia, I don't think anyone likes me. Joel- He doesn't like me. You saw the way he looked at me when we were sitting on the floor together! And Ellie, She feels the same way! Lucas- Mummy, Daddy..'' 

I shook my head in disbelief at what Hugo said. 

''No, Hugo. That's not true. Why are you bringing this up now?'' 

I replied, Hugo shaking his head again. 

''I- I'm scared, Amicia. I'm really scared that you killed so many people...I'm scared of killing people. I'm scared of the rats, I am scared for you. I don't want anything to change, Amicia. I don't. But- B- I know it will.'' 

I bit my lip. 

''Do you remember mommy's song that she used to sing?'' 

I asked softly, My mother's soft  singing echoing in my ears. Screw me for thinking it made Hugo feel better. I couldn't stop hearing my mother singing to me, Every night when I was young she would sing a song to me when I was under the covers inside my bed, She caressing her soft pale hand against my cheek while she singed. She barely sang to Hugo, Since she got so busy taking care of him. I only remember one night when she sang to both Hugo and I, I know Hugo remembers. Because he loved it. 

''I'm reaching out for the higher ground.. And It wrecks me into your arms..''

Hugo sniffled, I shook my head and wrapped my arm over his arms and leaned my head on his shoulder. 

''I'm scared too, Hugo. But- I'm here for you. I'll always be here for you.'' 

I replied, tears streaming down my face. 

''You're- You're scared too? How do you- How do you not show it?'' 

Hugo sighed, I shook my head. 

''I have always been scared Hugo...I don't show it because I try to brave for you...But- I am scared of what will happen too.''

I replied, sighing. 

''Amicia...I love you.'' 

Hugo sniffled, What a good brother. 

I hesitated with my response. 

''I-I-I Love you too, Hugo. That will never change. I promise.'' 

I gulped, Staring at my sling inside my leather pocket.