Chapter 5

2 YEARS AGO

I paced back and forth inside my bedroom waiting for mother to come home with Hugo. Hugo had become sick just a day ago, Mother thought he would get better from taking him for a walk, I never felt good about Mom being alone with Hugo, She is not in good condition either all the time.  Afraid, I went downstairs into the kitchen, approaching my father. ''Father, is Mother and Hugo home yet? It's getting dark outside.'' I asked, I looked out the rusty glass window to see out people of the town h=getting ready for the night, it made me uneasy. 

''Amicia, your mother is smart. She is fine with Hugo, you know that. Don't worry so much.''  My father replied, I frowned at what he said. ''You don't know that, father. You are the king of this place, go get guards to look for them!'' I demanded, looking at our servants, who cleaned while listening. My father shook his head. He looked behind me, to the door. I frowned. ''What?'' I hissed, looking at the door. ''Look at that, Amicia.'' He replied. Hugo and mother's figure appeared through the door, their nice clothing and Hugo's smiling in mother's arms. I smiled at Hugo. 

''Oh! I'm so happy your home!'' I exclaimed, kissing mother's cheek and taking Hugo from her, holding him in my arms. I smiled and kissed his forehead, he continued to smile. Mother stood right by Father, who winked at me. I looked into Hugo's eyes, he looked so happy. Mother touched my shoulder and gestured into the hall, I nodded and gave Hugo to father, Father petting Hugo's head. I walked into the hall with my mother, She looked around. 

''Amicia...I suspected something was wrong when I was with Hugo today. When we were looking for some food while coming back home from our walk, Hugo said he kept hearing...Screeches. Bad ones. Like rat's screeches. I believe he was right, There was this dark unexplainable hole in the middle of the forest...Hugo said when he went near it...His head began to ring. Amicia...I think the Black Plague is back.'' 

Mother whispered, Looking deep into my eyes. 

I shook my head in disbelief. 

''I don't know what you are talking about, Mother. There is no way the Black Death is back! How do you''- 

She put her hands on my mouth. 

''Listen to me. Amicia. Your brother...There is something up with him that I don't understand. He reacts to- I don't know. But from now on, you cannot see him anymore. Even though he is your brother.'' She demanded, I took her hands off my mouth. 

''Amicia...If anything happens to your father and me, you have to promise you will take care of Hugo.'' 

I paused. 

''Amicia, do you promise?'' 

She tugged onto my shoulders, I looked into her eyes. 

''Yes, Mother. 

''I Promise.''