20- Ottavio Rossi

August 10th, 1562

Ottavio and I walked through the halls of the palace. After Father and His Holiness left, Ottavio offered to give me a tour of the palace and I accepted.

But I didn't think there would be such an eerie silence between us. Ottavio did not speak, did not look at me and did not touch me. Instead, he walked a few steps ahead of me, at a brisk pace.

I started to get annoyed and found that I could go crazy at any moment. "Messer Ottavio" I said a little too loudly. He stopped walking and looked at me questioningly. "why do you refuse to speak to me, or even look at me?" I said angrily.

He smiled briefly "we can't talk to all these people here, or would you rather, Madonna" he raised his eyebrow and continued on his way. I followed him and we came out into an empty room, filled with bookcases of leather-bound books.

A few armchairs had been placed here and there, and a table sat in the center of the room. Ottavio locked the door behind him and sat down in one of the armchairs.

"Now we can talk, Bianca. If i may call you that" he said while smiling, his white teeth sparkling in the light.

I sat down on the armchair opposite him "When will our wedding take place?" I asked earnestly, Ottavio sat up straighter "very soon. It will be celebrated in a big way. His Holiness insists that all of Europe will learn about marriage, even the royal houses."

"Great" I said sarcastically "Just what I needed, a huge wedding"

"You don't like being the center of attention?"

"No, I'd rather be in the background," I replied. "A beauty like you can never be in the background, especially by my side."

I smiled "My beauty has only helped me, and so will my knowledge one day come to my aid" I said smartly.

Ottavio smiled briefly and then said, "Very well then, you'll have to be perfect if you want to marry into this family. It's time we return. Our fathers would be done with the marriage agreements."

~

That evening Isabella combed my hair in our shared bedroom. She carefully grabbed each strand of hair and ran the comb over it before placing the hair over my shoulder.
"You have a marriage treasure of 50,000 ducats, just like I once had. They discussed that if Ottavio dies, you will inherit all his possessions, along with your children. The same will be true the other way around," said Isabella. "What did you think of Ottavio?"

I thought "a handsome man, but I won't be able to love him". Isabella stopped combing "Why not?".

"Because my heart is already with someone else, far from here"

I felt tears welling up in my eyes and I cursed myself that after a year I still shed tears for Francis.

"Tell me more, Sister. Air your heart, I can see this has been bothering you for a long time" Isabella said as she resumed combing my hair.

"Francis and I loved each other, we wanted to get married. But when Father discussed the subject with King Henry, he refused."

Isabella gasped. "You mean Francis, The Dauphin?". I nodded. "Shortly afterwards, the king begrudged that Francis and I were still talking and threatened to have me killed. When he found out that we were in touch through an intermediary he banned me from France but I had to watch him consummate his marriage to Queen Mary first. That's the last memory I have of him."

I sobbed, I felt too much pain in my heart. The sadness and loss was too much for me and I couldn't take it anymore.

I had loved Francis for years. It started as a childhood love when I was fourteen and then it became real love. When I knew that Francis felt the same way, my heart was filled with happiness.

And now it was filled with sadness.

Isabella placed the comb on the table and leaned over my shoulder. "That's terrible, That it turned out that way." She just said, she hugged me tight and I noticed that it reassured me.

"In no time you will be a Rossi, wife of the Pope's son and daughter of Grand Duke Cosimo of Tuscany. Remember that well" she walked to the door.

She looked at me briefly. "I don't trust that Ottavio, keep a close eye on him."

I would like to improve my writing style. What do you think could be done better?