36- Francis' Hope

September 6th, 1563.

"A midwife will have to come to see if you are really pregnant. When was the last time you bled?" Cecily asked, pacing the room.

I thought "I bled in May and I think June also but not in July and August. That's two months".

How could I not have noticed that I hadn't had my period for so long. I got up and walked to the mirror. Under the tight bodice of my dress, my stomach didn't seem to have gotten much bigger.

Cecily saw what I did "Not every woman gets very fat Bianca. It's no use hanging in front of the mirror. We go to my rooms and then I have a midwife come, if someone sees her walking to your room the whole court knows it in no time," she said.

I couldn't even give my opinion as Cecily dragged me into her room on the other side of the long hallway and pushed me in as she searched for a midwife herself.

After a while she came back with an older woman and when she saw me her eyes flew from me to Cecily.

"Madam, which one of you two should I examine?" she asked Cecily. "My friend here thinks she's pregnant, I want you to see if she's pregnant. You'll be generously rewarded if you keep this a secret from everyone." Cecily looked at the woman so intently that she almost cringed. She nodded and asked me to lie on the bed and pull up my dress.

She started examining me and after a few minutes I was able to get out of bed again.

"And?" I asked nervously. "You are indeed pregnant, about 2 months, the child will probably be born at the end of April. It looks healthy," she said as she cleaned up her things.

Cecily smiled and took a bag of coins from one of the drawers in her room and handed it to the woman. "You haven't been here, do you understand?".
The woman nodded and made a curtsy before leaving the room.

I was still sitting on the bed when Cecily came to me and took a seat next to me. "You will soon be a mother Bianca. When do you want to tell Francis?". "I can hardly handle it myself. I am unmarried and pregnant with the king. I have to tell my father, and my sister and Francis. And then of course you have Mary." I got up and started pacing the room.

"But Francis will certainly be happy with the news, why are you so concerned?" Cecily asked from bed "Write your father first and tell him what opportunities your pregnancy can bring for your family.". She got up and took a pen and paper from a drawer and handed it to me.

I sat down behind the table and wrote a short letter to my father.

Dear father,

I want to inform you that you will have a new grandchild. I am expecting a child, the father is Francis. Before you say anything, no I'm not his mistress, he wants to marry me and will do anything to get it done.

He promised me that all our children would be recognized by him. You should see this as an opportunity for the family, you will be the grandfather of the son of the French king, this will bring a lot for you and Tuscany.

I hope you are not too disappointed in me.

Your honorable daughter, Bianca.

I sealed the letter and put it in my pocket so I could give it to a maid later.

"I think I'll just go to Francis and tell the news. Thanks for everything Cecily" I said as I got up carefully. Cecily smiled at me as she held the door open for me and I headed toward Francis's study. On my way I saw a maid and I gave her the letter I had just written and asked her to have it sent immediately.

When they got there, two councilors just walked out of the room and they bowed when they saw me. I nodded to them and then walked into the room.

Francis sat behind the large oak work table. His look was serious and concerned and I walked directly over to him. "What's the matter my love?" I asked concerned as I put my hand on his shoulder.

He took my hand and kissed it. "People are rioting. Nothing new. O and Mary is coming back to France at the end of October."

I was shocked, that was much faster than I had hoped.

"Well I wanted to tell you something, something that might lift your mood" I said carefully, "Go on" said Francis.

"I'm pregnant, Francis."

Francis jumped up from his chair as if on fire and looked at me wide-eyed. "Really?" He asked. I nodded.

Before I knew it Francis lifted me in the air and turned me around "This is the best news you could tell me Bianca" he said when he had put me back on the ground.

I smiled. I was happy that Francis was happy with the news and immediately felt much more confident.

"This comes out at the perfect time," Francis said. He had set up a chair next to his and motioned for me to sit before he just sat down.

"What do you mean?"

He handed me a document "Some citizens said they could not trust my rule because there was no heir. Some accused me of infertility, but now that you are pregnant I can prove to them that my rule is established. Maybe Mary was the problem all along and not me. All my hope is in our child." He said.

Startled, I put my hand on my stomach. I didn't realize the pregnancy meant so much to him. Francis saw that I was shocked and put his hand over mine. "Don't worry Bianca. The pregnancy will end well. I'll get you chambermaids and a lady-in-waiting. You will also be provided with midwives and pharmacists. We'll furnish a new nursery to your liking, okay?".

I smiled "That sounds good yes".

Francis ran his hand over my stomach. "We should think about names for our son or daughter." he said dreamily. I had to laugh out loud "Isn't that a little too early, the pregnancy is barely visible."

"That's true. We will announce the pregnancy when it is visible."

I agreed. That would be perfect.

What do you think Bianca and Francis are getting, boy or girl. And how do you think Mary would react.