Chapter 6

I wipe the sweat off of my forehead, tonight a few Grimm managed to get in the city, it was a nuisance to say the least, buton the bright side I could try for the first time the rifle and I am glad to have established that my aim hasn't gotten worse, but I could have done better.

I get back in my place and I sigh sitting down. "Nice job, cub."

I turn my head to the left and I notice my mother standing with crossed arms and her weapon on her back. After the initial moment of surprise I ask, "What are you doing here, mom?"

She chuckles walking to my side and once she sits she answers, "I wanted to see what you were doing. Your friends explained it to me, but I can't help worrying for you. Sometimes the Creatures surprise us."

I sigh, nodding, a flashback of Beacon in my mind. "I know... " I look up, out on the tundra and I ask, "were you going to help me if that was the case?"

"Of course, Nerys. Why are you asking?" she glances at me, tilting her head.

"I don't know. I think that I need reassurance because- I want to believe you, implicitly. But we spent so much time apart..." I trail off, unsure of how to continue.

She suspires. "You're right."

We proceed to stay awkwardly in silence for a few minutes when eventually I have to break it. "Can you make a corporeal shadow? Like I showed you at the Huntresses' House."

She ponders on it and then she says, "I can try, but I am not sure, I may need a little time."

I glance at her and I ask, "We could cut some time to teach you that."

She smiles and she nods. "I would appreciate it, Nerys."

I sigh, relieved, but then I frown, confused. "How did you get here? There is a blockade and I doubt that they would let you pass."

She chuckles and she replies, "They wouldn't. That's why I travelled here from Mistral. The wonders of our Semblance."

I look at her, shocked and I exclaim, "But Mistral is... so far away!"

She laughs and then she says, "I admit it was no easy feat, but I had a very good reason to do it." she looks at me and we both smile.

"Well, thank you." I watch outside the wall and I see a stray Nevermore. "Duty calls, stand back please." I stand up and I embrace the rifle, changing the bullets from fire to lightning.

"Would you like a hand?" She asks.

"No, don't worry... yet." I watch it flying closer to us so I take aim.

"Think you can do the shot? It's quite far."

I smile and I take a few deep breaths while it gets bigger and bigger. "Robyn may be an annoying pain in the side, but at least she's a good markswoman and she was a decent teacher at the Academy." I get the lens and I have a clear shot of its eyes.

"Interesting. When I was teaching you to be flexible with the weapons, I never thought you would go for a gun. You always said they were loud."

"It has its uses. And silencers are a thing." I smirk, exhaling one last time, then when I am completely still I pull the trigger.

The bullet fends the air and we watch as it hits the biggest eye of the Nevermore, we see the lightning dust detonate and then the Grimm banks on its side, falling down we see it starting to disintegrate.

"Nice shot."

"Thanks mom." I smile at her and then I notice the curious look in her eyes. "Is something wrong?"