Chapter 13

I glance at May playing with Nila in the living room with a fond little smile on my lips; I yawn walking in the kitchen, scroll in hand, and checking the news, waiting for the coffee maker to squeeze those beans to the last drop.

In the short span of a few months things deteriorated quickly in Mantle, Ironwood enforced curfew after he heard of the attack at Haven, calling Winter back was just a small step to the grand scheme of things.

The fleet is all over the sky and it complicates everything for us. Robyn and the huntresses are still doing their best in keeping the people calm and organized while the big wigs are trying to leave us behind.

Fortunately for us, the good Schnees covertly help us by sending things we need and it's much appreciated. Unfortunately for me, Winter's so busy trying to keep Ironwood off our backs and helping Mantle that we don't have much time to spend together, but we talk over text or call at night, during my watch. So things have progressed, albeit slowly.

I check for the last time if there's some news on the close race to the council seat, but for naught and I sigh frustrated.

"Are you alright?"

I turn around and I shake my head at my mom. "Not really, I'm really nervous as of late. With how he reinforced security all over Mantle I am surprised you haven't been spotted, the Ace Ops are leaving us alone and Weiss still has to be back."

She comes up to me and she hugs me rubbing my back. "Don't worry about me, alright? And about Weiss, she's with her friends and a huntsman. She'll be fine and soon she will be back. You don't need to run yourself ragged, my little cub."

She starts purring and after a moment I follow suit, this small act manages to calm me down for the time being. When the coffee is down I pour two cups for us, with a grimace I drink the watered down beverage. "If things don't change soon for the better, I'm going to Salem and kick her ass, then Ironwood's. This is an abomination, we need real coffee real soon," I grumble and she chuckles.

I smile but then my scroll rings. "Uhh, cub? You might want to take this."

I look down on the table and I almost let go of the cup as I reach over to answer. "Weiss?!"

"Nerys! I'm so happy to hear your voice!"

My shoulders drop and as mom comes to my side I smile and I say, "Me too, kid. Are you alright?"

"Uh, yes, but we might need to talk with you about what's going on."

I frown and I reply, "Ok, if you come to Mantle we can meet up and I'll tell you everything. Where are you?"

I hear the scroll moving and then an elderly woman's voice tells me, "I'm bringing this ship to Pietro's. Do you know where it is?"

I glance at my mother and she shrugs her shoulders at the new voice. "Yeah, but I might need some time. Roads aren't safe and I am too tired to use my Semblance. I'll see you there. Stay safe, everyone."

Team RWBY bids me goodbye and I end the call. "Well, that was new."

I nod and then I ask, "Can you stay? I don't trust May alone with Nila."

She smirks and replies, "Still upset for when the child called you Kitty?"

I pout and I cross my arms, making her laugh.

"You silly child. Now go fetch your weapons and go to them. Don't get caught." she kisses my cheek and she lets me go.