Chapter 19 - Worst Case Scenario, the Behind the Scenes

"Are you ready?"

I glance at Robyn, then at Winter behind the camera. We agreed to lend a hand to Ironwood, mostly to prevent people hurting soldiers and giving more bait to the Grimm. I nod.

"Do you want to do this sitting or standing up?" My friend asks.

"Standing. Jacques has to see that I'm still strong and coming for him." Robyn offers her hand and I grasp it before I push on my legs and she pulls me to her side, I grimace feeling the wound on my abs and I close my eyes before I can calm my breathing, I'm mostly okay, but it still tingles.

"Alright, do you know what you are going to say?"

"Nope, I'm going to wing it." I smile at Winter's disgruntled expression but then I say, "I don't want to make a long announcement and I want to make it as simple as it gets so even kids can understand."

She sighs and then she starts the recording.

I take a deep breath, almost grimacing, but I school my expression. "Citizens of Mantle. For those who don't know me, I'm one of the victims at Robyn's watch party, and a friend of hers. And a Faunus, so I saw what happened when the light got cut off. I feel the anger towards the military and I understand it, but this is not the time to give more ammunition to those lowlife pretentious douchebags. Nor the Grimm, since our defences are kind of paper thin." I give the camera a reassuring smile and I grab Robyn's hand, she immediately activates her semblance. "We all know what this does so you can see and hear the truth. Who attacked us planned it, sure, but it wasn't military. The Protector of Mantle is kind, even kinder than the entirety of the military corp and she wouldn't dare do something like that towards innocents. And the other agent was as clueless as we were. And let's not forget that Penny doesn't have poison. The attacker poisoned me but luckily I have plenty of aura that saved me."

Throughout my speech, our hands glow green, and at last I say, "That's why we ask you to reign your anger. It will be hard, but giving in to it will make our lives harder. The Happy Huntresses and I will do our best, but we need your help. We thank you for your time."

Winter cuts the registration and I slump on Robyn's side. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, just relieved I'm out of the spotlight now." I glance up at amused amethyst eyes and I ask, "How can you do it, willingly?"

She chuckles and pats my head. "Practice."

My response gets cut off by a scroll, I turn to Winter and she sighs. "He's calling me back. It seems urgent. I'll text you once I'm done."

I frown and I detach myself from Robyn and I walk Winter to the door. "Stay safe, Winter."

"I will, you are the ones that should be careful now." She sighs and after a quick glance behind my shoulders she stands on her tips and gives me a peck, I smile and I let her go.

After a few minutes Robyn and I get back at my place and she says, "I have a bad feeling 'bout this."

I frown and I fetch my scroll. "Me either. We have to wait for Winter. Do you think he just lost it?"

"He might." She sighs and then she sits next to me on the couch. "Mantle can't handle another hit. Our last thefts got us enough to start covering the breach, and without a constant supply from the Schnee's it's not possible to fix it in time."

Her scroll dings and she looks at it, I recognize the frown and I tell her, "Go, I can hold the fort."

"Thank you, we will come back here. Hopefully Winter will say what the meeting was about."