Chapter 16

I frown at the pieces in front of me.

"You know, you should move one of them."

I glare at Whitley and then at Winter who's sitting between us and has a smirk on her face. "Shut up, brat."

I sniff and I move my knight, just to have him moving his tower and saying in the calmest tone possible, "Checkmate."

I freeze and then I slump on my chair crying to the heavens. "Whyyyy?"

"Why am I so smart or why are you so predictable in chess?"

I stand up glaring at him and I go to answer but my scroll goes off, I take it and I say, "You just saved Whitley."

Weiss's voice comes a beat later. " That's good, I suppose? Anyway, we just wanted to check on you before we reached our drop out point."

Winter perks up and while she takes my seat to play with Whitley she says, "Right, today you and team JNR were going to shadow the Ace Ops. Where are you going?"

Weiss hesitates but then she says, " An old SDC mine, we are trying to find a Geist."

The siblings frown and Winter replies, "I read reports about it, be careful Weiss. And your friends too."

"We will!" team RWBY choruses and I smile.

"So Weiss, when will you visit?" Whitley asks, moving his queen.

"As soon as no one is paying attention to both Nerys and I. When we visited her, last time, the Ace Ops were bothering us with questions. I think that after this mission they will be a little more preoccupied with the report than watching a kid."

He nods waiting for Winter's move, then I say, "Hey, before you go. They are pricks, so don't take offense if they say something about your combat styles. Military is like that." Winter frowns at me and I shrug my shoulders unapologetic. "Well, I'll see you soon. Byee!"

They bid us goodbye and then Weiss hangs up.

"Military is like that?" Winter asks.

"Yep, you are all on a varying scale of bastardness. You included, my lady, and you are not going to change my mind."

We glare at each other so Whitley steps in. "Right, isn't the military one of the reasons you broke up? And ultimately made you escape to Vale?"

"And your father, don't forget that." I take a deep breath and then I ask Winter, "So, she doesn't know about their promotion?"

She returns to her match and answers, "No, I'm waiting on Penny to give me the all clear before I reach them at Amity. Would you like to come too?"

"Are the Ace Ops going to be there?"

"I think so."

"Then yes, I'm never going to waste a chance to piss them off. I only feel bad for Amin. He seems to be the butt end of every joke."

Whitley frowns and he interjects, "Isn't it like playing with fire, annoying the Ace Ops?"

"Kid, my sole existence is annoying, for them. I promise I'm going to be on my best behaviour." I show my hands so that I can't cross my fingers and they both sigh while I chuckle. "You two are really related to each other."

They glance at me confused and she asks, "Why? I thought our physical resemblance to our parents was enough to ascertain it."

"Yeah, but seeing you two annoyed at me and doing the same thing with your faces really brought the point home." They look at each other and then at the chess pieces. "You two are adorable," I mumble before I go lying down on Whitley's bed. "Wake me when you have to go, Winter."