Chapter 18 - A Night Off

I curl on the couch, watching as my mom is preparing some tea for us and listening to the scroll.

"Although rioting in Mantle is finally under control, how does it feel to know that the majority of those involved were your supporters?" The reporter asks.

As Sable walks back to me with two mugs, Robyn answers, "I don't condone rioting, especially when our city is being denied aid for the hardships we've already had to go through, but Jacques Schnee's latest stunt is holding the city hostage for his own political gain. So I understand their anger, but ask that they show it not in the streets but at the polls today."

I smile while accepting the drink and when the stream is cut off, mom asks, "Have you voted?"

I nod. "Before I came back from the wall, I waited in line until the booth was open."

She smiles and says, "With how charismatic your friend is, I doubt that snake is gonna win anytime soon."

I frown and I reply, "I'm not so sure, Winter and Whitley have been looking into a late night visitor of his and she told me that the description matched someone who was supposed to be dead. I'm worried."

"You have reasons to be. Do you believe that something may happen at the party?"

I sigh nodding. "I told the Huntresses and we all agreed to go, Winter and Amin too but she will be in civilian clothes."

She turns pensive and then she says, "I'm coming too."

I look at her surprised and I ask, "Won't it be dangerous for Robyn? If she wins, Jacques could call the lawyers on her associations."

She smirks and she replies, "You know, Willow is a dear friend of mine and I am hers, anything incriminating of mine has mysteriously disappeared."

I grimace at a mental image and I grumble, "Good for you..."

She just laughs in my face.

I smile seeing Weiss and Ruby talking with Penny in a corner, Winter is pleased too while she stands with the Huntresses who are not entirely happy about the Ace Ops presence.

"Seen anything suspicious?" My mom asks, appearing beside me.

I shake my head. "No, you?"

"Only a few questionable fashion statements." I raise an eyebrow at her and she chuckles. "Just kidding. I'm trying to look for anything but the only thing is that picture of him."

I glance at Jacques' photo and I nod. "Hideous."

I follow Weiss with my eyes and I see her glancing at Winter and at first she is surprised, but then she looks around and finds me in a corner with my mom, I wave at her and she smiles waving back, then she goes back on talking with Penny and Ruby.

I frown when Nora and Ren starts arguing about something, I glance at Weiss and I find her walking away with Penny and Ruby, approaching Amin, May notices them and she's going in their direction, quickly followed by Robyn and Winter, I see the blue haired woman trying to get a rise out of Amin, but luckily Birdy and my love stop them in time, but they are walking on a fine line. "I'm going to them."

"Are you sure, you don't seem to be in the best head space to stop a fight."

"But he wants something to watch over and my friends don't need it."

I walk to them, gently tapping Weiss and Ruby, they startle but otherwise they step back, I smile at Penny and I hear the tail end of Amin's intervention. "That sounds great. And you're planning to do all that equalizing legally, right?"