ʚɞ˚chapter 20˚ʚɞ

-unedited-

FINN'S POV

The walk to Drake's room was shorter than what I would've liked. I was all anxious and sweaty once we reached the room. I didn't even know how I should act. Do I act normal? Do I, like, go to him and break down or something? He was sleeping so he wouldn't even know. What do people do when they go and see someone they love in the hospital?

I wouldn't want to see them, honestly. I don't think I'll be able to without feeling horrible. But this is Drake in the hospital. Drake. I just had to see him and make sure he's okay.

The doctor, Lynn, tried calming me down and telling me everything would be okay but when she realized I wasn't really paying her any attention, she sort of stopped. When we were by the room, she gave me a smile then left, wishing me luck.

I took a deep breath in before looking at the wood doors that separated me from Drake. They weren't anything interesting yet I found myself staring at every single spot, memorizing the patterns from the wood. Maybe I actually found them cool, or maybe I was just trying to waste time.

Who knew what was going on behind the doors? Drake could be alive and well for all I know, but he probably isn't. Otherwise he wouldn't be here. In this hospital. Asleep. On a hospital bed.

"C'mon, Finn. It's just a door and a bed. What could go wrong?" I murmured to myself. I latched my hand onto the handle of the door and twisted it, slowly opening the door. I didn't look at Drake. No, not yet. I just made my way into the room and shut the door behind me, then I turned around and my heart stopped.

Drake was laying on the bed with multiple tubes connected to him. His dark skin was a bit pale. It looked...sickly, and it scared me. He wasn't shirtless but the hospital gown he was wearing was pulled up so they could get access to his stomach. I immediately covered my eyes when I saw his stomach though.

It wasn't a pretty sight. That's all I'm going to say.

I slowly began making my way towards him. His foot was hung up with some sort of cast around it. There were bandages all over him—including one on his forehead. His face...it wasn't as bad as his stomach but it was still bad. He had a nasty looking bruise on his left eye and the right side was a bit swollen. His eyes were shut though, and he looked...oddly enough, peacefully.

Dead, almost.

I subconsciously cupped his cheek, staring at all of his features. His hair looked messy and slightly greasy. Surprisingly enough, his roots were blonde and not brown. I expected brown hair to start growing but they never did. Maybe his hair was naturally blonde?

He had a mole on his neck. It was a bit towards the back, but it was still there. It was small but cute. It made him look...I don't know, more childlike? Innocent? Natural? Drake?

I slowly moved my hands to his shirt and dragged it down carefully so it would cover up the nasty view. I loved Drake, but I did not want to see him beaten half to death—

Beaten half to death...?

The doctor did say the majority of the injuries couldn't have just come from the car crash. So, technically speaking, Drake was beat. But by who? Why? Why would anyone want to beat him up?

I guess it is weird how Drake left without telling me—or anyone—where he was going and why. But why would he even need to? I sure as hell don't let people know if I'm going to go buy something or whatever.

It could've just been luck. A drunk guy could've just attacked Drake thinking he was someone else. It just...doesn't sit right with me.

Why?