DATE WITH PAVITHRA

............................

Shakeela aunt lived in Ulsoor, a hardcore neighborhood. Each lane in this area has more marble than the Taj Mahal. Every street smells of tomatoes cooking with paneer. We took an auto as my father never allowed us to take the car. My mother told the auto driver to stop a few houses away. We couldn't tell  Shakeela aunt we hadn't come by car. Shakeela aunt came to greet us at the door.

Ashwin's mom: He had a meeting, he dropped us outside and left.

Shakeela aunt: He should have come for a cold drink at least.

Shakeela aunt's weight roughly matched the decade she lived in,and that correlation had continued into the current nineties. Shakeela aunt had been Ms Chandigarh thirty-seven years ago. A rich businessman snapped her soon after the title and gave her a life of extra luxury and extra calories. Now, she weighed more than the three finalists put together. 

 We walked to five steps to get to their living room. Shakeela aunt had difficulty climbing them.

Shakeela aunt: My knees...

Ashwin's mom: You are going for morning walk nowadays?

Shakeela aunt: Where Kavita, it is so hot. Plus, I have yoga in the morning. Sit.

Ashwin's mom: Actually, even if you walk to yoga center, it can be good exercise.

Shakeela aunt: Six cars. Drivers sitting useless. How to walk?

Ashwin's mom: Six cars? Ashwin, you heard,they have six cars.

I didn't know how to respond. Maybe I was supposed to applaud.

Ashwin: Which ones?

Shakeela aunt: I don't know. My husband knows. Just last week he bought a Honda.

Ashwin's mom: How much for?

Shakeela aunt: Seven lakh, plus stereo changed for thirty thousand.

Ashwin's mom: Wow!He has also got a job with Accenture, four lakh a year.

Shakeela aunt: Good. Your son has turned out bright.

I guess to be rich is to be bright, as she didn't ask for my IQ.

Ashwin's mom: Your blessings.

We had smiled at each other for another minute when Shakeela aunt spoke again.

Shakeela aunt: Dry fruits?

Ashwin's mom: No, no, Shakeela, what formalities you are getting into?

Shakeela aunt: Rani, get cashews and those Dubai dates.

Ashwin's mom: Where'sour Pavithra?

Shakeela aunt: Here only, Pavithra!

Shakeela aunt screamed hard to reach the upper floors of the hydrocarbon-funded mansion. The servants were summoned to call Pavithra downstairs.

Shakeela aunt: She takes forever to have a bath and get ready.

Ashwin's mom: Don't stop our daughter from looking beautiful.

Shakeela aunt: Who knows about whose daughter she will become? We only have two girls,everything is theirs.

 Shakeela aunt spread her arms to show everything. Yes,the sofas, hideous marble coffee tables, curios, fans, air conditioners –everything belonged to the daughters and their future husbands. I have to say, for a second the thought of owning half this house made me wonder if my mother was right. But the next second the thought of losing Sivaangi came to me. No, I wouldn't give up Sivaangi for all the cashews and cash in the world. If only Shakeela aunt allowed me to live in this house with Sivaangi.