IN CHENNAI

Devesh (H.R): And we are placing you in Chennai.

Ashwin: Ok ok thankyou.

Then I ended the call

Imaginary fireworks exploded all over the Delhi sky. I felt real love for Devesh,the HR department and Accenture for the first time in my life. 

IN CHENNAI

My flight landed in Chennai at 7 p.m. we had a six-hour delay in Bangalore because a psycho called the airport and said the plane had a bomb. My bag took another hour to arrive on the conveyor belt. As I waited, I looked at the people around me. The first thing I noticed, excuse my shallowness was that almost ninety percent of the people were dark complexioned. Of these ninety percent, eighty percent had dabbed talcum that gave them a grey skin tone. I understood why Fair  & Lovely was invented. I couldn't understand why people wanted to be fair so bad.

 Most women at the conveyor belt looked like Sivaangi's mother; I couldn't tell one from the other. They all wore tones of gold, but somehow it looked more understated than Shakeela aunt's necklaces that had precious stones and pearls hanging from them like shapeless dry fruits.

 I came out of the airport. I had to find an auto to go to my chummery. I fumbled through my pockets to find the slip of paper with my new address. I couldn't find them in my jeans and almost panicked. I didn't know any place in Chennai except T. Nagar. And I knew T. Nagar as I took Brilliant Tutorials once upon a time.Somehow, I didn't think they'd shelter one of their lakh of students from eight years ago.

 I opened my wallet and found my address. I heaved a sigh of relief. I came to the auto stand. Four drivers argued with each other over the next passenger. 

Driver: Enga? Enga hotel?

Ashwin: No hotel.

I said and took out my wallet. I opened it and the drivers saw the ten hundred-rupee notes my mother had given me before leaving Bangalore. He smacked his lips. I pulled out the slip with the address. 

Driver: English illa.

I looked around. No one proficient in English seemed visible. I read theaddress. 

Ashwin: Nung-ba-ka-ma-ma?

Driver: Nungambakkam?

He laughed as if it was the easiest word to say in theworld. 

Ashwin: Yeah. Near LoyolaCollege. You know Loyola College.

Driver: Seri, seri.

My stay with Sivaangi had told me that 'Seri' meantan amiable Tamilian. I loaded the luggage.

Driver: Meter?

He laughed again as if I had made a bawdy joke.

Ashwin: What?(I tapped the meter)

Driver: Meter illa.(loudly)

Ashwin: How much?

Driver: Edhuvum.

Ashwin: I don't understand. Stop, how much?

He didn't stop or answer. I tapped his shoulder. He looked back. I played dumbcharade with him, acting out.

Ashwin: How much money, dude?

He continued to drive. After ten seconds he raised his right palm and stretchedout his five fingers wide.