BANGALORE OR CHENNAI

..................

Ashwin's mom: I can't believe you said no to Pavithra. There has to be a reason,no?

She had brought up the topic for the twentieth time three days later. My father didn't come home until late so my mother had taken the risk and invited her sister home for lunch. Some Indian men cannot stand any happiness in their wives' lives, which includes her meeting her siblings. 

Shipra aunt: Shakeela is buying one more house in the next lane. She told me it is for her daughter.

She said, rubbing salt into my mother's wounds. My mother hung her head low. 

Shipra aunt:You are making the same mistake again. You chose an army person for your own marriage. You said they are sacrificing people. We have seen how much. You have spent your whole life in misery and poverty.

My mother nodded as she accepted her elder sister's observation. Shipra aunt had married rich. Her husband, a sanitary-fittings businessman, had struck gold building toilets. My mother had valued stupid things like virtue, education and nature of profession, and suffered. And according to Shipra aunt, I planned to do the same. 

Shipra aunt: How much will that Madrasin earn? Pavithra would have filled your house. When was the last time you bought anything new? Look, even your dining table shakes.

Shipra aunt banged on the dining table and its legs wobbled. I pressed the top with my palm to neutralize her jerks. 

Shipra aunt: I say, meet Shakeela once again and close it. What are you thinking? Do you know Shakeela bought the phone,the one you can walk around with everywhere?'

Ashwin's mom: Cordless...

Shipra aunt: Not cordless, the new costing twenty thousand rupees. You can take it allover Delhi. Pass me the pickle.

She ate up fast to catch up the lost time she spent on her monologue. 

Shipra aunt: And what is this writer thing? Pavithra said you will leave the bank to be a writer one day.

Ashwin's mom: What?

Ashwin: In time, after I have saved some money.

Shipra aunt: This is what happens if you educate children too much.

Ashwin's mom: I have no idea of him becoming a writer. When did this start?

Shipra aunt: The South Indian girl must have told him. They love books.

I banged my fist on the table. The legs wobbled. Maybe we did need to change it. 

Ashwin: Nobody asked me to be a writer. Anyway, it is none of your business, Shipra aunt.

Shipra aunt: Look at him, these black people have done their black magic. Don't be foolish, Kavita, tell Shakeela he will remain in Citibank and make a lot of money. Get his price properly.

I glared at everyone at the table, went to the living-room sofa and picked up the newspaper. The matrimonial page opened out. I threw it in disgust.

Ashwin's mom: Let's look at some educated girls. You want to see educated girls?

Ashwin: I have an educated girl. I like her. She has a job, she is pretty, decent, hardworking and has a lot of integrity. What is your problem?

Shipra aunt: Son. That is all fine. But how can we marry Madrasis? Tomorrow your cousins will want to marry a Gujarati.

Ashwin's mom: Or Assamese?