29. Performing with PMS

Warning: This chapter contains mention of Sexual Assault, reading with caution or just skip this chapter altogether if you wish.

── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ──

           Mickey entered the music room the next day with Paige, Terri, and Hazel. Paige had explained that Ashley was re-joining the back and that they were now using her lyrics instead of Terri's. So, Mickey wasn't surprised when they entered the room to see Ashley standing behind her keyboard. "We have lyrics?" Paige asked her, as Mickey went and sat behind the drum set.

"Just finished them this morning," Ashley said, walking over and giving each of the girls a piece of sheet music. "And I printed out copies for each of you in media immersion,"

"Sneaky girl," Paige commented as she started to read the new lyrics.

"The melody's the same, but the words are way more powerful now," Ashley said, as she handed Mickey a sheet. Mickey started reading the lyrics. They were intense, with a very heavy subject matter.

"Ash, this is-," Mickey trailed off trying to come up with the best way to say it.

"It's kind of heavy," Hazel supplied for her.

"Well, yeah, I mean, it's about rape. Paige said last night, let's make it real. My poem was ok, but I did some research online. Did you know that by the time girls reach university one in four has been sexually assaulted," Ashley explained.

"You took my body and tore it in half?" Paige read the lyric aloud. "This really isn't working for me,"

"But the stories are incredible. From girls our age. You wouldn't believe some of the things I read," Ashley defended her new song.

"Let's use the original lyrics, ok?" Paige said.

"But this is way more interesting," Ashley said.

"I agree," Terri agreed with Ashley. Mickey just stayed quiet, the new lyrics may have had a deeper meaning, but if it made Paige uncomfortable they shouldn't use them. And by the way, Paige then raised her voice speaking again, it was clear Paige was not comfortable with them.

"Well, I don't really care. I like the original version better," She kind of snapped, putting on her guitar. "Mickey, hit it," Ashley stomped back over to her keyboard as Mickey started playing the drums.

          Mickey sat in the music room the next day, drumming away on the drum set, as Ashley sang. Hazel hadn't shown up yet, but the girls decided to start practicing without her. "It happens to other people. You say how sad, you say poor thing. But when it's you it's different. It's everything." Ashley sang as Hazel walked into the room. "The friends you loved and thought you knew, just disappeared,"