Part 9: Home

"I'm sorry. For everything. Y/n please I love you."

My ears were ringing. Did Phoebe just tell me she loved me? No. I didn't want it to happen. Not like this. Not here. Not while I was still mad at her. I wanted it to be perfect. I wanted to feel nothing but love. This, this doesn't feel like joy. I don't know what it feels like. How did we get like this? We used to be so simple. When did everything get so complicated? I know I like Phoebe. Maybe I even love her. But I don't like this. I don't like what we are.

I breathed out slowly. Phoebe dropped her head. Her hands let go of mine. "I think we need some space."

"You don't love me," Phoebe said, keeping her head pointed at the ground.

"No, I do. Well, I don't know. But I know I care about you."

Phoebe opened her mouth hesitantly. I cut her off not wanting to hear whatever she was going to say. It would hurt too much. "I don't like what we've become. This isn't working for me. I think I need to go."

"Y/n...." She looked up at me, teary-eyed. Her dark eyes reminded me of the coffee shop we met at. "Promise you'll come back." My heart felt heavy, but more or less at peace.

"I promise," I said back offering my pinkie. Phoebe interlocked hers. I pulled her into a hug, resting my head on her shoulder. I breathed in deep, knowing this is the last time, for a long time, I could ever hold her.

~time skip~

I took a taxi to the airport. Luckily, a connecting flight was available. I had already checked my bags and found my gate. My flight had been delayed an hour. I flipped up the hood to my jacket and went to look for food. I hadn't eaten breakfast or lunch, I was starving. Maybe I could find some pancakes. I walked past a store selling T-shirts that said "I survived the Effiel Tower", and another store selling french pastries. I finally settled on a fresh-looking restaurant. I ordered a salad and a cup of soup. The server gave me my food and I walked back to my gate. I settled into a chair and started on my food. My phone started ringing, so I reached into my pocket. Steaming hot soup poured all into my lap, making me let out a small stifled scream, trying not to alert anyone in the crowded gate. My legs felt like they were on fire, my jeans had been ruined.

"Oh my god. Are you ok?" A voice said. I was staring at my lap trying to wipe up the hot soup with the two napkins the server had given me. I hadn't heard them coming. "Erm, do you need any help?", the voice said again.

"Yes, yea that would be-" I glanced up while talking and let my sentence trail off. She was wearing all black and had long, brown hair with shaved sides.

The stranger helped me clean my jeans and offered to buy me a new soup. "No that's fine. Thank you," I paused realizing I had never asked for her name.

"jen." She said.

"Nice to meet you, I'm y/n."

"Do you live in New York?" She asked.

"Oh, no just a pit stop."

"I just thought because of your accent." I laughed. jen had a British accent. It never occurred to me that my voice would be considered an accent aswell.

"I live in Nashville," I replied smiling. She stared back at me confused.

"So you're from the states?"

"Right! Uhm yes. I live in the state of Tennessee." She nodded at me but still looked a little confused like she was trying to place Tennessee on the map.

"What about you? Why are you going to New York?" I said continuing.

"I'm visiting a friend."

"It's funny, i'm actually visiting a-" I paused. What am I supposed to call Hayley? We weren't dating but we are more than friends.

"I see." jen smiled and winked at me. "What's their name?"

"Hayley." I thought of her, reminiscent of all the time we had spent together.

"I hooked up with a girl named Hayley once." I laughed, surprised she could be so forward.

"Well, we have that in common then." I replied.