Chapter 20

Why did I lie? I'm so stupid. I was laying in my bed just looking up at the ceiling trying to not have another breakdown. I told Hayes that Maddie bought the dress and I was just surprised that she would buy such a nice dress. He looked a little skeptical but still bought it. He had to go home for dinner and it was an awkward good bye. I feel like I'm losing him and it's all my fault.

"Brooke honey?" I wiped away my tears quickly when I heard my mom coming through the door. "Yeah mom?" I stepped outside of my room and leaned over the stairwell standing on my tippy toes." "Come down here please."

I rolled my eyes and shuffled down the stairs feeling dizzy from crying. "Yes mom?" "I know your dad coming back has been weird and possibly a little hard but why have you been crying about it?" I gave her a puzzled look and she returned the face. "What are you talking about?" I questioned. "Brooke, your door might be closed but I can hear you crying." I look down and pick at my fingernails, one of my worst habits. "Mom I'm not crying about dad, it's Hayes." "What happened? Did you guys fight? Did he hurt you?" Her mom instincts kicked in. "No! It's hard to explain..." Yeah you just have a creepy stalker! My subconscious mocked me. "We just got into a little argument, but it's fine!" I tried to reassure her but she didn't seem convinced.

"I want you to go call him and make up with him. I don't like you being sad over a boy." I tried to protest but she gave me the 'if you don't I'm gonna ground you for life' look. "Fine."

I ran upstairs and grabbed my white high top converse and texted Hayes. "Meet me in the park at 7" not even 5 minutes later he sent back a "kk"

It would get a little chilly even on summer nights so I had my maroon sweatshirt on and some shorts. I said goodbye to my mom and started walking because the park was close to my house.

It was already getting dark and quite cold. As I approached the park I spotted Hayes on the swings drawing in the sand with his feet. I slowly walked towards him and sat on the swing next to him. "Hey" my small voice came out. "Hey" he simply responded back.

I took a deep breath and decided to speak up. "Hayes I-" but I was cut short by Hayes looking towards me. "Brooke listen, I can't do this." My heart sunk. "What?" I croaked out. "I know you must hate me." "But why?" "I'm not good for you." "But look at how far we've come." "I can't hurt you." "You won't. I-I just don't get what changed your mind about us." "I'm sorry." He stood up placed a soft kiss on my forehead before walking away not looking back. I sat there for a minute just thinking.

I felt the tear land on my hand, quickly wiping them away I stood up and started home. Sniffling every once in a while, I tried to keep it together wondering what I did wrong.

For a second I thought I heard something behind me but I shrugged it off and continued home.

Bad idea.

I heard a car door shut and before I could turn around and comprehend what was happening I felt a hand cover my mouth with a cloth. My screams were small and muffled. "Hayes..." I tried to scream right before it all went black.

AUTHORS NOTE: guys it been forever!!! I'm so so sorry, honestly I'm just no longer as big a Hayes fan as I used to be... But I owe it to all of you to at least finish the story. I hope you enjoy the rest of this story!