Chapter 10

I looked out the window into the pitch black, watching my house go out of my vision. "You okay?" Hayes asks. "To be honest, no." I replied. "I wish I knew what to say but I don't."

"Thanks for trying." I respond with a blank face. This was all too much for me. Something has to be wrong with mom because she would never drink for fun. I just need to find out what.

Maybe she lost her job, or I don't know. It has to be something. "You need some cheering up missy." Hayes puts on his famous smirk.

"And what do you propose we do?" "Well, do you like burgers?" Hayes raises an eyebrow.

We pull up to Whataburger. "So your idea to make me feel better is to stuff me with fast food?" I chuckle. "Yeah, pretty much. It's good stuff!" He protests and holds my hand as we go inside.

I wasn't really paying attention while Hayes ordered but when our food arrived I was ready to eat, I was starving. He got us cheeseburger meals.

"Hey kids! Can I get you anything?" The worker asks holding the orange container with condiments. "Can we get some spicy ketchup?" Hayes asks.

"Sure thing sweetie." The middle aged woman hands him three packets. "You have to try this!" Hayes begs me. "I'm not a fan of spicy stuff." I make a disgusted face. "This stuff is so good though!" He hands me a fry and the packet and practically force feeds me.

"Okay, okay!" I giggle putting the French fry in my mouth. It was a little spicy but not bad. "Mmm, wow this is good!" "I told you so." He winks.

After eating we headed back to Hayes' house. It was late, but not too late, the only person sleeping would be skylynn. "Hey mom." Hayes said to his mother as he walked in the living room.

"Oh hi sweetheart." Seeing his mother hugging him was the sweetest thing ever. "Oh gosh, Brooke how good to see you!" She holds her arms out for a hug. "Hey Mrs.Grier!" "Oh call me Elizabeth honey."

"Okay mom we are gonna go hang out." "Okay sweetie, I need to sleep anyways." Hayes grabbed my hand and we walked to his room. "Want to watch a movie?" Hayes asked. "Yeah sure, you pick, I'm gonna go to the bathroom."

I walk into the bathroom and take in my appearance, stumbling back. There's a red mark on my face where my mother lost her temper. I sigh as the tears threaten to spill. I hold them in, I don't want Hayes to see me like this.

I walk back out of the bathroom and sit down into Hayes' bed. I didn't even pay attention to what movie was on. I was too focused on how lucky I am to be cuddling up to this boy.

"Brooke?" "Yeah?" I look up into his eyes. "Are you okay now?" I sigh, thinking for a minute. "No, I don't think I will be for a while." He looks down disappointed. "But if I'm sitting here with you, I will be okay for now." His smile lights up as he runs his fingers through my hair.

"You're amazing." He speaks out. I look down and smile. He grabs my chin and lifts it up so I'm looking at him. "And beautiful, so so beautiful." His lips found his way to mine. He cups my face in his hands. I scoot closer to him closing the small gap.

He moves his lips down kissing along my jawline and neck. I gasp and grab tight onto his arms. "Hayes." I gasp out. "Brooke I've always had my eye on you." He said between kisses.

"What do you mean?" I run my fingers through his messy hair. He slides his hands up and down my side. "Ever since you moved here in sixth grade, I wanted you." He grips on to my sides. "Didn't have the courage, eh?" I tease him.

"Shut up." He chuckled kissing me again. I was so lost in Hayes' gentle yet meaningful touch, I was falling hopelessly in love with this boy wasn't I?

"Hayes, did you borrow my shirt again?! Wow." Crap. I pulled back and fixed my hair quick as Hayes did the same. "Why do I always find myself in this situation with you two?" Nash laughs hysterically. Hayes throws Nash his shirt. "Here, now leave!"

Nash laughs and walks off. "Door open, you two!" We both start laughing. "Goodnight...boyfriend." I smile and kiss him. "Goodnight beautiful girlfriend." I lay down and rest my eyes, hoping to forget tonight.

-------------------------------------------

I hear a loud knocking at the door. I see that I am back at my house. "What?" I walk downstairs and open the door.

I see a man, tall, same eyes as me, holding a suitcase. "Hey sweetheart! Is your mom home?"

"Daddy?"

Authors note: As always, comment what you think! I almost have 1k reads! Love y'all❤️