𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

'I think we're being set up

'I think we're being set up.'

THE WORDS that Valentina had pronounced hung in the air. Feodora and Theoden looked at each other in confusion.

Valentina stood up and walked to her desk. The other two did not dare to follow. Valentina looked intensely at a map of Ketterdam. She wondered exactly who would be able to outsmart them because it wasn't Brekker for sure. Sure he had contacts in town, but he wouldn't be this smart as to put a price on his own head as well as on Valentina's.

'What does this mean?' wondered Feodora, breaking the silence and the awkwardness in the room.

Valentina let Feodora's question hang in the air for a few seconds before answering her question, 'it means that someone is out to erase all the gangs from Ketterdam,' she replied.

Feodora stood up and went to stand next to Valentina, still staring at the maps. Theoden, already bored out of his mind, stood up and went to grab himself a drink. He poured two more for the two girls.

'Alright,' he said bringing the glasses to the girls, 'so what do we do about this person?'

Valentina took a sip of her drink and then said, 'I think we need to join forces with the crows.'

'I'm sorry, come again?!' exclaimed Feodora, 'you want to join forces with the gang who beat me up and nearly killed me?'

'We'll have to have rules in place,' she said before Feodora could get another word in, 'I'll set up a meeting with Brekker. Just him and me,' she said.

Feodora took a sip of her drink and slammed it down on the desk, breaking the glass in pieces and stormed out. Valentina looked at the kvas spilled all over the papers on her desk.

'Should I go after her?' asked Theoden.

'No leave her, she's going to need to cool down for a bit,' she replied, 'can you get me something to clean this mess?'

Theo nodded yes and stepped out the door a couple of minutes and came back with a rag to help clean Valentina's desk.

'Are you sure you want to do this?' he asked.

'Yes I'm sure,' she said angrily putting papers in the trash, 'do you want to be written off the map?'

'No boss,' he replied.

The two continued to clean up Valentina's desk and then Theo left the boss to her own thoughts. Valentina sat at her desk contemplating the empty page of paper, annoyed that the message wouldn't write itself.