"We'll Figure it Out. We Always Do.

It had been nearly two years since the day that Emily told you that she was being reassigned overseas. She had told you that the mission wouldn't be disclosed until much later in her training and that no, you couldn't come with. All this time later, you still hadn't moved on, unable to find someone who could even come close to comparing to the woman who haunted your dreams. When a knock resounded through the apartment you once shared, the breath pushed from your lungs as you looked at the woman you thought you would never see again. Her hair was lighter, bangs covering her forehead and a weariness that seemed to permeate to her bones.

"Emily..." Her name felt like sugar on your tongue as it fell from your lips in a whisper. You couldn't believe that she was here, that she had come home.

Emily's eyes drooped as she sighed before looking up at you, gaze pleading.

"Say it again. Please... say it again."

You cleared your throat and held out a hand for her to take, "Hi, Emily."

Tears sparkled in the brunette's eyes as she grasped your fingers. You tugged her inside and wrapped your arms around her, tightly enveloping her in a hug. She near immediately pulled away, a dazed look on her face.

"Emily," you began, "what's wrong?"

Tears shone in her eyes, and she tried to shake them away, looking to her feet and bringing a thumb to her mouth. Before she could nibble, you pulled the abused digits into your chest, clutching them above your rapidly beating heart.

"I... I shouldn't have come here. I'm so sorry." Emily feebly tried to pull away, but you refused to let go.

"This is your home, Emily. It always has been, and it always will be."

Emily still wouldn't look at you, but you felt her grip tighten on your hand, her arm trembling just so slightly. You quietly pulled the woman further into the house, sitting with her on the couch. Her shoulders were still hunched around her ears, and she wrapped her arms protectively around her midsection. It was then that you noticed that her sweatshirt seemed impossibly baggy on the woman, almost as if it was three sizes too big.

With smooth movements, you pulled the throw blanket off of the back of the couch and wrapped it around her, smoothing your hand over her hair and down her back as you finished. Emily leaned into the touch and whimpered slightly before you saw a single tear track down her cheek. Unable to resist, you wiped her cheek with your thumb, still cupping her face long after the track had dried. Your should-be-girlfriend showed no signs of relaxing to your touch, so you tried to pull away. It was only then that she reciprocated—using her hand to trap yours against her face.

"Please, just for a little longer," Emily pleaded. "I promise I will leave soon. I just, I have missed this so much."

"You don't need to leave, my love." Your words were punctuated with Emily's wide eyes finally looking into yours, shock clearly evident on her face before it morphed into melancholy.

"I... I don't deserve to be here; I don't deserve you. You won't want anything to do with me."

You pulled Emily into your chest as her voice got thick with emotion, pressing her head into your shoulder with the hand that had been rubbing her back.

"Why don't you deserve to be here? If anything, I want you here more than I have ever in the entire time I have known you. I just got you back."

Your words were sincere, and Emily could feel it as the sound rumbled from your chest into her ear. She hummed quietly and you sat with her, not willing to push her further than she was ready. When the brunette sat back up, you tucked a piece of her lightened hair behind her ear, once again trying to soothe her with your touch.

"Sweetheart, I..." Your heart swelled with the affection dripping from her voice. But nearly as soon as the warmth flooded, ice ran through your veins and your stomach dropped as you watched her lift the sweatshirt, uncovering a very pregnant belly. Tears sprung in your eyes. The woman for whom you had been patiently awaiting for nearly two years, ignoring all of the advances made your way and keeping your heart locked up safely for her return...didn't do the same.

"Emily... what..." You couldn't hide the quiver in your voice as you pulled away from Emily. It felt as if someone had ripped your heart out of your chest. It seemed as though Emily had no problems moving on as she was sent on assignment overseas. Your mind couldn't help but spin dozens and dozens of scenarios in which the woman you so desperately pined over so easily walked away from what you had, from what you had thought was the best kind of love anyone could ask for. You must have been wrong.

"I'm so sorry, Y/N. I'm so incredibly sorry. I wish this would have never happened. I wish I would have never taken that god damned assignment." Emily's eyes sparkled as she spoke, fighting back the tears that had plagued her for the past 5 months.

"I... I waited for you, Emily. I thought that you would come back to me... I have spent all this time comparing every woman I come across to you and you... you slept with someone else? Did you love them?"

A sniffle was the only thing you heard for long moments. You were ready to get up and pace when Emily finally spoke.

"No... No I didn't. I didn't even like him."

With wide eyes, your focus snapped back to Emily's face from its placement on the far wall, your heart clenching with the possibilities.

"I... I can't tell you everything. Actually, there isn't much I am supposed to tell you at all. But I didn't want to cheat on you, especially not with a man. But... I couldn't blow my cover. I was supposed to do anything to finish the mission. I just didn't think..."

Emily's story was cut off with a sob and you quickly gathered her into your arms, tears stinging in your own eyes as you imagined what exactly your girlfriend had been through over the last two years.

"Shhhh, it's okay, Emmy. I'm right here." You rock the sobbing woman gently back and forth until she calms back down.

"I didn't want it and he trapped me. It took my team three months to extract me after I found out and now... there is a baby in there, a child that could live outside of me. It's not like Rome... I can't just get rid of it now. I've felt it kick, I... I don't think I can do it. Any of it."

Emily was starting to get worked up again, so you pressed kisses into her hair and hummed in her ear.

"It's okay, love. We'll figure it out. We always do." You reached down and for the first time dared to touch her belly, feeling the life beneath her tight skin. "And if you want this to be our baby, the one that we have always talked about, then it will be. They will be the most loved child. And if you want to give it away, we will find them the most loving home imaginable."

"You mean that?" Emily's voice was shaky and small as she looked at you through dark lashes.

"Yes, my love. It's you and me against the world."

With that, you leaned in, capturing her lips in a tender kiss. It was every bit as magical as the first one that you shared all those years ago. You had no idea what the future would hold, what your lives would shape up to be in the aftermath of Emily's tenure as a spy. But what you did know was that in four months, when Emily looked into the dark eyes of a little girl who looked exactly like her, you and Emily would become the parents you always dreamed of growing up, working tirelessly to show your unconventional little bundle of joy a world full of love. Not only of love for her but of love for each other so deep and true that nothing would dare keep you apart again.