Nineteen - A Stroll Down Memory Lane

Okay I haven't put much music in this book but this song gives me such bad bitch entrance vibes and that is the whole mood this chapter so, viola.

Hᴀʟʟɪᴇ

I turn full circle in the mirror opposite, head craning across my shoulder to absorb every inch of my attire.

A beautiful dress; not one of those I had opted for after shopping with my friends, considering Helena later decided the dress code would be black tie. Naturally, she would seek any reason to wear an expensive gown, and I cannot lie and say that it doesn't make me feel rather beautiful too. More so than ever before.

My skin seems far more olive against the teal, highlighted by the gentle bronze sheen of my shoulders which are bare past the drooping embellished sleeves. Too, obvious on my leg which peaks through the side split rising up the skirt. The torso sits tight, moulded to me in a way to narrow my waist and frame my breasts. It's perfectly modest, but still, so stunning.

I hadn't found the time to have the dress tailored, and so the black heels I wear are slightly too high for my liking, but endured only to save too much of the skirt from pooling on the floor. They match the clutch in my trembling hands, along with the small clip in my hair, framing the sleek bun knotted at the nape of my neck. It's titivated with a few sparse diamantés, complimenting to the thin diamond band resting against my clavicles.

A shaky breath escapes me. Nothing - nothing - can be picked on today by Helena or my mother or any of my snobbish aunties.

Walking down the stairs is difficult, having established simply how nervous I am. Oliver and I have done well so far to sell our fake story, working the interviews and convincing my immediate family, but tonight will truly be the make or break. In front of friends, most- if not all - of my relatives, and the media.

I hear his breathing downstairs, calm and steady and it soothes me, if only slightly. If he can be so prepared, I can be too. Together, we will do this, as immaculately as we've done so far.

Oliver waits in the dining room, smartly dressed in a three piece suit, and looking as breathtaking as he has every time previous he has worn such. Once more, he has gelled his hair half heartedly, leaving those rebellious strands to flick over his forehead. He hears me approaching and focuses his attention entirely on me.

"Hey," he simply says, eyes running across my figure. "You look," his sentence goes unfinished as he straightens the lapels on his blazer, swallowing me in.

"Hm?" I mumble. Never before have I seen Oliver stumble, but here he stands, unable to speak to words.

"You just... you look stunning." He finally admits. Flushing from his comment, I slick my hair back further with my clammy palm. "You suit green."

"It's teal." I comment, silently cursing myself for undermining my compliment. He takes no offence however, his lips quirking as he walks towards me.

Offering a hand, he lets his eyes run over me once again, "well, it's definitely your colour." I allow my hand to settle in his and be pulled towards to crook of his elbow where he places it gently, offering me formidable support as we walk towards the foyer.

Luther already waits outside - he opted to chauffeur myself and Oliver, while a rented driver is due to take my sister and her fiancé. "Evening," he greets the pair of us, opening the door.

Oliver smiles widely at him, stopping short of the door as to assist me inside, one hand tightly holding mine while the other gently lifts my dress away from my feet, ensuring I don't get caught. The gesture in itself is flattering, and I smile fleetingly before I sit, so he knows of my appreciation. I can't speak the words - I'm too cautious I might vomit should I open my mouth.