Twenty Seven - Back To Business

Hello strangers! So, I have taken a wildly long break on this book. I reached a wall and just could not break past it even though I know exactly how this is ending. I hadn't realised how much I had kept people in the suspense & a lovely little message kicked me back into gear. So, @edennnn____ this chapter is especially dedicated to you. Thank you so much for being one of the many people that are so kind to support my work and remain supportive even when I take 4 month sabbaticals! I'm hoping for another 3/4 chapters out of this book, and they will most definitely be posted within this month. DEFINITELY.
Thankyou all again for your patience and continued support and love.
So, I guess it really is back to business.

———

𝐻𝑎𝑙𝑙𝑖𝑒

It's difficult to suppress the anxious quiver that runs throughout me as I await my mother's arrival. The last I saw of her wasn't exactly the most pleasant experience, what with the uncovering of her betrayal, and the rather unprofessional response on my behalf in return. Still, as I called her earlier with the promise of beneficial news, she seemed rather pleased to hear my voice. That, however, no doubt comes from the smug satisfaction that once more, she has managed to get her own way. Or, so she thinks.

The location remains neutral - a small coffee shop only a twenty minute drive from the pair of us - so that if things should turn sour, I can very quickly vacate the area. Of course, she fleetingly suggested that she would simply call in to my home, but with Oliver there - the two of us now sharing a room - and his sister also a temporary resident, that proposition was quickly distinguished.

"Top up, Ma'am?" I lift my eyes fo the waitress that stands at the end of the booth, mug of brewed coffee in hand. It takes a moment for me to comprehend what it is she actually offers, and even longer for me to realise it is not the first time her question has gone ignored.

"Sorry," I lift my large mug in her direction, allowing her to fill the near empty drink. "I was in a world of my own there."

She offers me a one shouldered shrug, her expression equally unfazed. "Yeah, it's fine." For a second, she turns to continue on, though her movements halt and she turns her head over her shoulder. "Is it true you've already broken up with Oliver?" The lift of her brow is enough to bristle my attitude, and through gritted teeth the argument against her claim almost frees itself, but when I see my mother stride though the door - large sunglasses despite the overcast afternoon paired with a shin length trench coat flaring behind her - I refrain.

"Yes." Is all I can manage.

"Huh," she muses just as my mother takes to the seat opposite me, "seems like you and your sister aren't all that different after all." My jaw slackens as she walks away, completely stunned to silence.

"What was that?" My mother says as she sheds her coat. The glasses are moved to be perched upon her head.

"She just -" it takes a slow exhale and fisted palms to calm myself after what I deem to be such an awful insult, but I collect myself. "It seems word of my divorce is already out." I say, unfolding the papers claiming such in front of her.

Other than the slightly lift of her brows, her expression remains impassive. "Divorce? Didn't you claim to love him only a few short weeks ago?" It takes twice to resistance to surpass the condescension in her tone.

"Well, love only meddles with convenience doesn't it?" She doesn't respond as she inspects the papers for their authenticity. "He was aware of the stipulation put forward when we began our little story - I've retained the assets I need."