Chapter 4

Dedicated to @tenyspup for guessing the last picture. Guess this one...
Dan POV

I stare at the looming building of the hospital in front of us.
"Well I don't know what we're doing here but, my phones in his car so..." I open my door.
"Yeah, come on." Phil nods. "We're here, may as well find out why."

We enter the hospital, and head over to the reception desk.
"Uh hi, we're looking for..." I blank out as Phil inquirers about his father. I look around the room, glancing briefly at all the patients.
"Cat scan!" Phil exclaims, causing me to snap my attention back to him. "But that's for like brain problems!"
The nurse nods.
"I can take you too him if you wish."
Phil stands shell shocked and unresponsive.
"Uh, yes please. We would like to see him." I smile, taking Phil by the shoulders and steering him after the nurse.
"Dan." He whispers vulnerably. "Why would my dad need a cat scan?"
I squeeze my eyes shut, holding back the sigh for Phil's, glad he couldn't see my face.
"I don't know Phil. I don't know."

Down a few more corridors, the nurse ahead of us stops.
"He's in here, looks like they've just finished up." She smiles sadly. "If you wait here, I'll say that..." She drops off, waiting for our names.
"Dan and Phil." I prompt.
"I'll say Dan and Phil here to see him." She nods, entering the room.
"Dan I can't." Phil gasps as soon as she's gone.
"It's okay Phil, you don't have to." I sooth as he steps away from me, slumping against the wall, running a hand down his face. The nurse comes out and I turn from Phil to her.
"Uh, he said he'll see you-, is he okay?" She breaks off, staring at Phil who was now sitting on the floor with his knees to chest, head buried in his hands.
"He doesn't want to come in." I explain. The nurse nods.
"Well I've got to keep moving, but you can head on in." She says before walking away.
"Okay Phil, I'm gonna go in and see your Dad, will you be okay?" I crouch down at Phil's side. He makes a small sound that almost sounded like yes, so I stand and enter the room.

"Dan." Mr Lester says as soon as the door closes. "Where's Phillip?"
I scratch the back of my neck. "He's uh, in the hallway cr- he didn't want to come in."
Mr Lester nods. "I see. How did you boys know I was coming here?"
I give him a sheepish smile. "Uh, we slipped my phone into your car, and tracked it with Phil's."
Phil's dad frowns. "Why? Why were you tracking me?"
Another sheepish smile makes its way to my lips. "We kinda um, thought you might have been, cheating, on..." I trail off, assuming he had my point.
"Catherine?! I would never cheat on Catherine!" Mr Lester exclaims.
"Look, we were just trying to figure out..." I take a breath, unsure what to say. "No look Mr Lester. Your son is sitting in that hallway, crying, just trying to figure out what the fuck is going on. Yesterday we come home to get a random call saying you were getting a divorce and had given no explanation. Phil has been a mess ever since, so we were trying to figure out why. We thought you might have been having an affair, and obviously if you couldn't stay at your house, you would go to your other partner's house. So can you please tell me how the hell we ended up at the hospital getting told you were having a cat scan of all things?"
I breathe heavily, shoulders rising and falling fast in my anger. Mr Lester sighs.
"Daniel, I didn't want to get a divorce, but I did it because it would hurt Phil and Catherine less than if they new what was really going on."
"What's really going on then?!" I shout impatiently.
"I- have a brain tumour. I only have up to four months to live."
A painful silence descends upon the room.

Oh.

Is the only coherent thought in my mind. Suddenly the silence is broken by a small whimper. I whirl around and spot Phil crumpling to the ground for the second time in twenty four hours, grief stricken.
"Please no." He whispers as I wrap my arms around his heaving shoulders. "No, he can't die."
"Phillip." Mr Lester calls. "Come here." I help Phil to his feet, and watch as he walks over to his Dad.
"Uh, I can go if..." I say awkwardly from the corner.
"No." Phil says. "You're not leaving me, okay?"
"Okay." I nod, and lean against the wall.
"Look Phillip, I figured it would hurt you less to think I was getting a divorce than to know I'm dying-"
"No! You can't die!" Phil shouts.
"Phillip." Is all Mr Lester has to say. Phil collapses over the hospital bed, sobbing hysterically. I wanted to do something, but had no idea what.
"Uh, should I call Catherine?" I finally ask.
Phil's dad nodded. "Please."
I go out into the hallway, running a hand down my face.
"Shit." I hiss under my breath. This was all so horrible, and I could only stand and watch. I give myself a minute to breathe, before remembering my phone was still in Mr Lester's car.
"My phones in your car." I whisper, poking my head through the door. Mr Lester nods to the small chest of draws beside him, trying to comfort Phil. I walk over and the draw, grabbing the car keys, on my way back Phil I pat his back gently, before heading outside. This was going to be the worst phone call I've ever had to make.