Chapter Six The Tutor

Chapter Six

The Tutor

I turned around to find a pregnant lady that looked to be in her twenties or so. She had her long blond hair pulled back in a ponytail and was wearing a black and white striped maxi dress with a jean jacket. And if I'm being honest, she look like that baby would be coming any day now.

“This is Mrs. Canfield, she will be your new tutor”. Well thats obvious enough.

“Hi!” she greets me, all cherry-eyed, sticking her hand out toward me. I shake it, while saying “Hi”. back. “Its very nice to meet you Miss. Peterson. I heard you've been having some trouble with Math lately so Im gonna be here to help you with it,” she smiles. And why is she talking to me like I'm four? I have trouble with Math not understanding words! “Okay”, is all I say. Okay is my go-to answer when I have nothing else to say. Like when Miss. Hoffman said ‘I’m going to call your parents if you don't start showing up on time’. And I said ‘Okay’. I don't mean to sound disrespectful it just comes out. I just get nervous or, excited or, worried that I'm going to get in trouble and all I have to say is ‘Okay’. I should probably work on that… I wonder if she ever did call my dad… Stop that brain, focus! I mentally scold myself, trying to pay attention. But… Then again… I really dont want to be here or to have a tutor so…. No I have to...

“Does that sound good?” Mrs. Canfield’s voice pulling me out of my thoughts. She looks at me. Oh, crap. I missed everything she was saying! Way to go brain. Having absolutely no idea what she was talking about, I nod my head and say "Okay". Eh, I’ll figure it out later. And I really got to stop doing that.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • •

“So now I have a tutor,” I sighed, telling Maddie my situation at the donut shop after school.

“That sucks!” she sympathies.

“I know right!” I take a bit of my powdered jelly filled donut angrily. “I mean, I could just as well tutor you”, Maddie says with a mouthful of donut. “I wish you could.” I say sadly.

     〜•〜•〜•〜•〜•〜•〜•〜•〜

The bell rang the next day, signaling that school was dismissed. But it wasn't for me.

I dragged myself back to Math class because thats where I was going to be meeting Mrs. Canfield for my first tutoring lesson.

I take in a deep breath before walking into the classroom. When I walk in and see Mrs. Canfield sitting at a desk at the front of the classroom. I walk over to her and sit down in the desk beside her.

“You got your stuff?” she turns to me and asks. I nod ‘yes’. “Okay, then lets go.” she  smiles.

“Where are we going?” I ask as we head out of the classroom. “A surprise”, she says smiling.

We head out to her car and I hop in. We start driving, heading into town and past me and Maddies donut shop, all the way to a small diner named ‘Rusty’s Diner’. Never been to this place before. Ive seen it when we drive by though, its a little quaint place with a kind of homestyle feel.  

“A restaurant?” I ask surprised, turning to look at her. She smiles and pulls into the parking lot, turning off the engine. She hops out of the car while I just sit there. “You comin’?” she asks. I quickly get out of the car and catch up with her.

When we get inside it smells of amazing food and theres black and white photos everywhere and red booths. The waitress comes up to us and smiles, like she already knows Mrs. Canfield. “Table of two”? she asks. “Yes, ma’am.” Mrs. Canfield says. The waitress smiles “Right this way.” We follow her to a room kind of cut of from the rest of the restaurant. The place isn't too busy though. I sit down in the booth, taking my backpack off. Mrs. Canfield sits down across from me and says “Now what sounds good? I heard the chicken ‘n’ biscuits is really good but so is the-” “I don't mean to be rude, and don't get me wrong I would love to go out to eat but, aren't we supposed to be you know, doing Math?” I question. She sets down the menu she was holding. “Listen, I know you don't want to be here. I know you must want to be hanging out with your friends. Believe me, I know. So might as well make it fun. And besides, would you really want to be doing Math when you could just be hanging out?” she asks. I smile. “So put away your Math book and lets just talk, ok?”

Oh yeah, I think Im going to like this new tutor.

/////So, new chapter! What did you think? Do you like the new tutor? Would you want a tutor like this? Tell me in the coments bellow! Thats all for now, ttyl.\\\\\