Chapter 19: Backwards, Part 17

"BREE!!!" Mikey shouted as he dove into the vat of humitagin. For his brothers, time stoped. They waited in fearful anticipation as Mikey stayed submerged in the unearthly goop. They locked eyes before running for the vat. Ralph was closest, and almost dove in after his little sibling, but Leo caught him by the back of his shell, and dragged him back.
"What the shell, man!?" Ralph yelled at Leo. Leo's face was a solid mask of calm, but on the inside, he was more panicked than Ralph. "We can't lose two turtles in one night." He replied, deadpan.
"Oh, so that's all we are to you?! Soldiers? Well, news flash, buddy, we're FAMILY!! And family doesn't let family drown in weird sludge in a weird dimension!!" Ralph shot back. The argument continued, but Donnie tuned them out, and stared at the sludge. He felt a tear roll down his mask, but didn't bother to brush it away. The tear fell ever downward until it splashed into the humitagin. Right where it landed, a hand shot out, and grabbed the edge of the vat. Donnie gasped and stumbled back. He looked to his quarreling 'older' brothers.
"Guys! Mikey's okay!" He shouted. They turned instantly and grabbed the hand. By now, Mikey had his shoulders and head out of the substance. He held up his other arm, and in his fist he clutched a delicately pale, limp hand.
"Help Bree first!" He shouted. Leo grabbed her small hand and heaved her up, while Donnie and Ralph pulled Mikey. Leo slung Bree's unconscious form over his shoulders.
"Come on, let's get you two to the girls' Shell Razor, then Donnie and Danyella can make sure your alright."
Mikey faced his brothers, and his once care-free expression was filled with rage.
"No." He said. "Make sure she's okay. I'll catch up with you guys later."
"No way! We're not gonna leave you! No turtle left behind!" Ralph exclaimed.
"Besides, before you go and do... whatever it is your planning, there's something you should know-" Donnie started, but Mikey interrupted him.
"Don't try to talk me out of it, Don. Go! Take care of her. I promise I'll be okay." His expression softened, and so did his voice. "I love you guys... and I love her too. Please. For me?" Mikey begged.
His brothers looked at each other, and at Mikey, and nodded. They leapt away. They broke a window as they escaped, and called to the Teenage Human Ninjas to retreat. Mikey watched them go, and turned to Splinter. When Mikey saw Bree fall into the vat, it was almost as if his world shattered, like the glass on the ground, and after he got out of the vat he'd remembered who's fault it was that she fell in the first place. Splinter. He ran towards splinter, and as soon as he was in reach of splinters face, he punched him in the jaw. Splinter was so stunned he staggered back a few steps. When splinter finally realized what happened, Mikey was going in for another punch. Splinter blocked the punch and threw one of his own. Splinter punched Mikey right in the nose causing a horrible cracking noise. Mikey's eyes started to water and he wasn't even in that much pain. Mikey and Splinter went back and forth fighting until finally Mikey kicked splinter at the base of his skull, knocked Splinter out and sending him sprawling to the ground. When Mikey finally calmed down, he looked at Splinter's battered form, and couldn't help thinking of his father, and a pang of regret rolled through him. He looked away, and noticed an unusually shiny shard of glass on the ground. He picked it up and stared at his reflection in it. The face of a human boy stared back. The boy moved when Mikey moved, and Mikey looked at the hand holding the shard, and noticed that instead of three, thick green fingers, the hand supported five, nimble, tan fingers.