"i need your help"

Therapist Arizona has a new client. Stubborn Amelia shepherd.

Arizona Robbins scrolled through her timetable for the third time that day. She was certain her eyes were deceiving her, the hours spent on screens finally having an impact. She squinted, rubbed her eyes, even took her glasses off as if blurred vision would be of any use, but the name was still there, typed in red italic on the 'new patient' form emailed to her from reception.

Client number two had cancelled, predictably. Despite being one of the highest rated therapists in Seattle, Washington, Arizona had racked up a fair few cancellations recently. She figured desperate patients would see her amazing testimonials and mission statements and book appointments in moments of hope, yet as the time to meet in person rolled round, they'd disappear and have a significant other ring up the practice and cancel on their behalf. Arizona's job was not to judge, yet she found herself more and more irritated by the clients who can't even ring her to cancel personally. Often, the hardest part of being a therapist, was getting clients into her office. Many are anxious, skittish, and run at the first hurdle.

Which is why Dr Arizona Robbins LMFT was curious to see Dr Amelia Shepherd BA M.D on her client records for the afternoon. She recognised the name, those blue eyes and the deep brown locks instantly coming to mind. The pair had taken a pre-med class at John Hopkins university together, a little over ten years ago. They were never friends as such- perhaps they exchanged greetings and mutual grumbles of displeasure when a boring substitute professor would cover for the teacher they were paying good money to learn from. In fact, Arizona couldn't recall ever having a conversation with Amelia, but for some reason, good reason, the name and eyes of her classmate came back to her with ease. Arizona imagined Amelia had no idea who she was, and was like any other nervous client booking to see a therapist for the first time, until she scrolled a little further into the email attachment. Written in the little box where clients write their access needs were a few words from Amelia: 'I can't talk to strangers'. The tone was strange, as if Amelia had tried talking to a stranger before but had been unable to get very far. That peaked the interest of Arizona's therapist brain. Why couldn't she talk to a therapist she'd never met? Why her? But of course, all questions firing in her brain had to cease with the arrival of her next client.

"Morning Lexie, have a seat."

"You would not believe the week I've had Dr Robbins!"

Arizona shut down her computer, paying full attention to her hurricane of a patient for the next 50 minutes.

---------

Amelia's appointment time rolled around and Arizona was certain she'd cancelled until April, the receptionist, knocked on her office door.

"Dr Robbins, your patient is in the lobby. I told her to come on through but she refused." The peppy receptionist with a surprisingly short tether pouted in displeasure.

"Okay April." Arizona smiled at the uptight woman who kept her on schedule. "I'll come out."

Arizona was thankful she wore loud heels to work that morning, figuring her new client would be less startled if she heard her coming. She was also thankful that she was alone in the practice that day, meaning her waiting room was empty.

"Amelia?" She called to the small woman with horrendous posture. She was almost curled over in the chair. When Arizona didn't get a response, other than Amelia's side eye, she decided to perch on the coffee table in front of her new client.

"Hey..." She smiled against Amelia's narrow eyes. "Shall we go through to my office?"

"No."

"No?" Arizona raised her eyebrows and Amelia's stoic eye contact began to falter.