"mommy issues"

14. Zola or Sophia ask Meredith or Arizona to adopt jo like Meredith was after they beat she doesn't have a mom or dad. Season 9/10 Jo. She's cute and shy.

message me your one shot requests

Jo Wilson

"Dr Jo!" The tiniest Robbins Sloan Torres smiles at me as I come round the corner of the hospital day care. She abandons her little halloween art project (it looks like they're decorating glittery bats) to run and greet me in a tight hugs, so low down on my body it throws my centre of gravity.

"Hi Sofia!" I try to greet with equal excitement. I don't know the child all that well, probably only having met her a handful of times through Alex, or when Robbins needed me to watch her for thirty seconds if she had to dash off to the women's room. Its a testament to Sofia's character that she is so welcoming and receptive to the love of an acquaintance. Don't get me wrong, little Robbins Sloan Torres is seriously growing on me.

"Where's uncle Alex?" Sofia asks, her gorgeous hazel eyes staring up at me.

"He's got a busy day at work today, so he asked if I could drop you to your Mom today instead" I explain, but worry when the child's expressive face shows disappointment. "Is that okay?"

"Yeah okay." She mumbles.

"I'm sorry Sof, I know you love Uncle Alex."

Sofia affirms with a nod. "He's funny."

"That he is." I ruffle her hair. Somehow, during the short interaction, I have crouched down to Sofia's level, so the hazel orbs are glistening into my own.

"Did you bring a coat?"

"It's in my bag. Mama got me a rain Mac that folds away into a pocket. You want to see?" Sofia bobs excitedly.

"Sure thing." I chuckle and stand up.  "Grab your bag sweetheart, I'll sign you out."

We walk hand in hand through the hospital car park, and Sofia talks my ear off about everything she's done today. She asks me about my surgeries, and I respond truthfully, and i'm so surprised that this 8 year old girl can hold a conversation about whipples. Oh Sofia..... you do make me laugh.

"Jo?" Sofia's demeanour changes slightly. Her self assuredness when reciting facts about appendectomies is replaced by a slight waver in her voice. I cant help that my voice mirrors hers, although, as the responsible (?) adult (?) here,  I guess I should work on that.

"Yeah?"

There's a brief silence as Sofia scuffs her shoes. I lightly chastise her, but her gaze remains on the sidewalk, studying each golden brown, purple, orange leaf we step on.

"Is it normal to have two Mommy's?" Sofia whispers.

"Very normal." I squeeze her hand so damn reassuringly.  "What makes you ask that?"

"Louis at school. He said it was strange I have two mommies." I sense a bit more confidence now that I've reassured the child, especially since her whisper has turned to whining.

"Well I think it's super cool to have two Mommy's." I smile. "I bet Louis does too deep down. Most people only get one Mommy, and some people don't have one at all. Isn't it cool that you have two!"

"Mommies argued a lot." She whimpers, breaking my already fractured heart- especially broken from conversations about mothers in general.

"I know. But Mommy is happier now she's in New York right?"

"Yeah." The girl nods, picking up energy as she speaks, and swinging my arm with each step. "And Mama talks to her every night on the phone. They even do kissy faces."