三十一 (Thirty-One)

(Koan's POV)

I woke up to crying. Loud crying.

I opened my eyes to see that I was in a hospital room and hooked up to multiple machines.

The screams and cries...

I easily recognized who they were coming from.

Elle.

I instantly started detaching everything from myself and then went to stand. My legs gave out a bit, but that didn't stop me.

Using the wall for support, I made my way out of the room and into the hallway. My parents and brothers instantly spotted me and rushed towards me.

"Koan, you're not supposed to be up. What are you doing?" Renzo said, reaching to grab me.

I pushed his hands away and looked at mom.

"Where is she?" I asked.

I could hear her cries and screams, but didn't know which room they were coming from. I didn't want to waste time going from room to room either.

I asked mom where she was because I knew she'd tell me. The others would probably tell me to or make me just go lay back down.

She pointed to the room that was two down from mine and I started that way.

"You're in no condition to be up. She's alright." Seiichi said, but I ignored him.

I got to the door of her room and saw her parents and brother inside. Her mom was standing by the bed crying while her dad and brother were standing against the wall facing the door.

Elle was in the bed attached to machines like I was and she was crying...

In her sleep.

My family followed closely behind me as I walked further inside and up to the bed. Her family watched me with curious eyes.

"She won't stop." Her mom said, tears rolling down her own cheeks. "Can't get her to wake up either. Doctor McCall just went to get some meds."

Careful not to mess anything up, I sat on the edge of the bed and cupped her face in my hands.

"Elle," I whispered as she whimpered. "Elle, wake up."

"We've tried that already." Colten said, sounding frustrated.

Not knowing what to do, I took one of her hands and placed it on my chest so she could feel my heartbeat and then I kissed her.

It took maybe twenty seconds before I felt her kiss me back, her hand gripped at my chest, and her eyes snapped open.

She pulled away and started crying more.

"Koan," She whimpered, not believing it was really me.

"I'm here."

She wrapped her arms around me and buried her face in my neck as she started to sob. No one said or did anything.

Especially when she started to ramble.

"Don't leave me. Don't ever leave me." She sobbed. "I was so scared. I don't want to live without you. I can't live without you. Losing you...I can't lose you again. I won't survive it. Please don't ever leave me. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you."

I pulled away so I could see her face and gently brushed her tears away.

My next words were whispered so that only she could hear them.

"No one and nothing will tear us apart. I promise. I won't ever leave you, Elle. I love you. So f*cking much."

Doc came in at that moment and stopped in his tracks when he saw us.