XI

Dan's PoV

I woke up to buzzing monitors. The loud beeping was accompanied with bright lights and nurses tapping me lightly. "Dan," she said. "Daniel, wake up. Your friends want to know your okay." I blinked my eyes a few times before looking up at the face of the 18 year old girl. Her long, brown hair was pulled back into a bun and her grey, almost silver, eyes sparkled down at me.

"Colline?" I asked. She smiled and nodded. "Hi."

"I voted."

I looked at her, obviously confused. Everything was a blur. "What?"

"The talent show," she clarified. "I voted for you." My eyes widened. "Well," she began. "I'm sorry. I thought tha-"

I put my hand up to stop her. "Don't apologize. This was the best thing that could've ever happened to me."

She shook her head sadly as she changed the bandages on my arm. "No, you got shot."

"Yeah yeah... but before that."

She nodded. "Alright. I'll get your friends." She walked out and called down the hall for my friends. Instantly heard running feet with a hint of a heel dragging across the floor. She popped her head through the door, her mangled, blonde hair sticking out everywhere. Her face was cut and bruised but she was smiling as if there was nothing painful in the world. And all I could do was smile.

"Charity," I forced her name out of my mouth. My girlfriend ran over and threw her arms around me.

"I've missed you so much!" she cried into my shoulder. I hugged her back, tight with one arm, limp with the bandaged arm.

"Where did you come from?" I asked. She pulled away and wiped a tear from her eye.

"I was kidnapped three years ago. I broke free two years later and told someone about it. At the time, my capturer allowed me to play his piano and sing. It kept him entertained. So I took a hobby of writing music. I wrote an album and the person I told made it a real things and put in on iTunes to see if they would get any money so I could use the money to live." She stopped and took a raggedy breath. "Three days later, Ed, my kidnapper, found me. He was always after you. I don't know why. I was lucky to be with him when he came to find you."

I looked at the floor and caught a glimpse of her ankle. It was mangled and bruised. "What happened?" I asked weakly, pointing to the wound.

"I tripped when running after your car," she told me. "Do you know an Ed?" I shook my head. "I'm just so glad to have you back!" she squealed. That's when I remembered. When she planted her lips on mine it felt like heaven, like icing. But when she pulled away, I saw it on the railing next to her.

"What's that?" I asked, pointing to the bloody, green sweat shirt. She looked over.

"I think that's your friend's." But that was all I heard. Because I remembered.

That sweat shirt belonged to Phil.

My Phil.

"I want to see him," I demanded, grabbing the sweat shirt.

She nodded. "I'll get a nurse to bring-"

"No no," I stopped her. "I want to see him alone."

"Why?"

"Just do it," I said, a bit too harsh, I realized, as she winced. Then, Charity nodded and walked out to get him.

>•<

After talking to Phil, I realized I needed help from my first friend at Carrier. "I need girl advice from Jamie."

>•<

Jamie walked in. "I know you like him Dan," she said, quietly, hinting me that the two of them were outside. "Just tell him."

"Wow, thanks Miss Phsicic," I said. "But what about Charity?"

"She will have to deal with the fact tha-"

"Nono! I mean I still like her!" Jamie frowned.

"But who do you love?" I stopped. I never thought about that. "Just think and then tell them when you know." I nodded.

"Bring them in."