XV

Dan's PoV

"Phil," I said. Phil fluttered his beautiful blue eyes open and Jamie and I smiled. He turned to looked at me. "Hey. How do you feel?"

"Like I jumped out of a moving car," he replied. I chuckled with Jamie and Phil closed his eyes, satisfied with his joke. I smiled even wider at the fact that Phil was still so happy despite his hospitalized condition. Suddenly, he opened his eyes and began to cry. My smile faded slightly. His flushed red face was stained with crystal tear tracks. "Dan," he began, "what happened to your dad?" I wiped the smile off of my face and let a tear escape my eye.

We had dropped Phil off at the hospital when another ambulance pulled up next to his. I looked over as the people carried a man on a stretcher out. I knew that man all to well. "Dad!" I shouted, running over to him. He turned his head weakly towards me and smiled. A sad tear escaped his eye.

"Hi... Dan..." I rushed quickly over and grabbed his hand just as he died.

I hung my head at the terrible memory. "He died, Phil," I heard Jamie say. He gasped and I cried even harder. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to hold him. So I did. I reached over and clung onto his thin neck. I sobbed and sobbed. Pain has never hit me this hard. Not even when I was shot I'n the arm. I didn't ever want to let go.

"Ouch," he exclaimed. I pulled away. "When did that get there?" he asked, nodding his head towards his arm.

"Oh," I began to explain. "They needed to put your arm in a cast because you broke it. I picked out the color." He smiled at me and looked down at his cast. I smiled again, forgetting everything and just looking at Phil's beautiful face. "Blue... like your eyes."

"Thanks!" he exclaimed. "I like it a lot!" Finally, he looked up at me and his smiled grew even wider. My cheeks turned red, but I don't think he noticed... hopefully. "Dan," he said suddenly. "What was it you wanted to tell me?"

I blushed more intensely and I knew he noticed because his cheeks grew a bit rosy as well. I snapped my head towards Jamie. I had almost forgot she was there until I heard her shuffle. "Leave now," I demanded. She surrendered and began to walk out.

"Don't shoot me if I walk back in!" she said in a sing-song voice.

"Fuck off!" I joked. She giggled and ran towards the comfort of the waiting room. I looked back at Phil. It was now or never. "We're friends right?" He nodded. "Don't... judge me."

He shook his head, confused. "Why would I judge you?" he asked. He had such a kind heart.

"Phil, I love you," I blurted out. He looked up at me.

"You... you wha-"

I leaned towards in my seat. "I said: I... love... you..."

He looked like the happiest person in the world for a split second. Then, his face distorted and concern took over. "In what kind of way?"

And that's when I lost it. I couldn't just sit there. I leaned forwards and pressed my lips softly against his. Only five seconds of heaven later, I realized what I was doing and jumped back. Blood rushes to my cheeks in embarrassment and he choked on his words. I knew it. He hates me now. I got up and ran towards the waiting room. "Dan!" he called, but I ignored him. He was probably just going to break my heart. What's the point of sitting through that? I've already broken it myself.

I slumped into the seat next to Jamie in the waiting room. "What? What happened?" she asked.

"I..." I took a shaky breath. "I told him, and I-"

"Okay, okay. Want me to talk to him?"

"Yes please," I replied like a sad child asking for a cookie. She got up and went to his room. I sat there and took a shaky breath. What have I done? I just kissed him out of no where! What even!?

Suddenly, I heard foot steps. I looked up. Jamie stood in the door way and beckoned me in. I slowly stood and walked in. Phil was out of the bed and standing in the middle of the room. I walked up to him awkwardly, rubbing my arm.

"Look," I began, "Phil, I'm sorry I just-" But before I could finish, Phil cupped my face in his hands and pressed his lips against mine. I closed my eyes and just let this melt into my head. Then I enjoyed the moment before he pulled me away and looked me in the eyes.

"I love you, too," he said. I pulled him into a hug.

"Squee!" We looked over to see Jamie. "I love you guys!"

"Thanks Jamie!" we both said. We looked at each other quickly. "She was helping you with this?" We asked each other. Phil smiled and pulled me back into a hug. His cast rested on my back and his other hand held me close from around the neck. I held him tightly around the torso like a giant teddy bear. My giant teddy bear.