XIII

Dan's PoV

Charity crutched into my room, carrying a glass of water as best as she could. "Here you go sir. One glass of water for you."

I giggled and played along. "Thank you, Miss. And how much will that be?"

"One kiss!" She tried to peck my lips and I stopped her.

"Charity," I said. "I told you, I'm taking a break." She frowned. "No relationship-y stuff."

"Okay. But I miss us," she complained. I frowned and playfully tapped her. She gave a playful shove back and eventually, she accedentally pushed me onto the floor, right on my arm.

"Oww..." I groaned. Charity covered her mouth. "Oh my God!" she squealed. "Are you okay?"

"Ughh... no!"

She giggled. "Here. Let me help you. She went around by my shoulders and I thought she was going to hoist me back up onto the bed or drag me away so I could sit on the floor, but she decided to kiss me. For a second, it felt like I was back home and there was no care in the world. Then I heard the door click open.

"Uh... I guess you're okay then," Phil said. I shoved Charity off of my and looked at Phil quickly. He looked like he was going to cry. Then I turned to Charity.

"I told you not to do that!" I shouted at her.

"I'm sorry I-"

"No Charity! Just no! I can't even comprehend why you think it's okay now when it wasn't five minutes ago." Our bickering continued. Finally, Charity grabbed her crutches and got up. "Where are you going?"

"I'll get a ride somewhere!" she shouted, throwing her keys onto the ground. I watched as she walked out and realized I just made a big deal over a little kiss and now, Charity is gone. I covered my face in shame and began to cry. Phil stood in the doorway for another minute. "Phil," I called, trying to get his attention before he walked downstairs. I so desperately wanted to call him in and just hug him and hold him until I felt better, but I just watched, through the gap between my fingers, as he shook his head and walked downstairs.

I stayed really quiet and realized that he was crying too. Why? Why did he have to cry? I pulled my legs off the bed and awkwardly slid into a sitting position on the floor and buried my face in my knees. My sorrow seeped from my eyes to my knees. And then I realized.

Phil loves me too.

I perked my head up. I've just been to blind to see it. The way he looked at Charity when she first arrived. Jealousy flared in his eyes. He smiled when he said I was taking some time from dating Charity. He filled with hope. He almost cried when I kicked him out of my hospital room so I could talk to Jamie. Sorrow coursed through his veins. And when he held me in his lap and stroked my hair as we went to the hospital. He was worried, careful, and loving.

I put my head back in my knees and began to cry. How could I have just ignored that? I needed to tell him. Soon. Now.

I heard the door open downstairs and running feet. It was Jamie running to comfort Phil. Then they came barreling up the stairs to check on me. The door opened and I heard someone rush over and put their tiny hand on my shoulder. It was warm and sweaty. "Shh," Jamie cooed. I heard more footsteps on my other side.

"Hey," he said, his deep voice soothing me. He placed his hand on my shoulder and sat beside me. "It's all right." Jamie began to speak comforting words to me, in which I blocked out. I just turned my head to face Phil. He stared at the floor with his blue eyes. They almost looked fake. His black fringe dipped in front of his eyes and his pale hand slid of my shoulder and down to my fore arm. Finally, he turned to face me and our eyes locked into a staring competition, just like at my first day at Carrier. I smiled and he smiled back. Or maybe it was the other way around. Either way, we were both smiling.