The Wrong Voice

Seth

Irresponsible.

Reckless.

Dangerous.

Three words from Scarlett's father that I can't seem to get out of my head as I speed along the empty asphalt. Partially due to the mortified look on his daughter's face as he chewed her out for the first time in her life, and partially because it was true. What was I doing? Giving this lethal abductor permission to have contact with Scarlett?

"Killian" A growl builds in my chest when I think of his name on her lips. The way she talks about him, as if he didn't threaten to take her from me only hours ago. To steal her, and deliver her to god knows where. I love her beyond reason, but she's naive. I've seen what a predatory vampire can do. And I'll be damned if Scarlett walks around with a vampire bite marring her skin for the rest of her life. If he breathes wrong, I'll rip his throat out.

I pull the car over to the side of the road to take some deep breaths. There was no fighting the wolf this time. I needed to think. I wrench the car door open and pull my shirt over my head. There is no moon, but my vision is not the least bit subdued by the pitch black night. I was on route to the pack house, but the guys don't deserve to deal with my temper. Being on the edge like this around Kim or Kaiya would be unacceptable. Irresponsible. Reckless. Dangerous. It was less than a second before my wolf viscously tore through the line of trees, escaping into the night.

Scarlett

I glared down at the puzzle. It was a picture from my favorite story book. The Rainbow Fish. I got it from my daycare teacher Ms. Jonie. I read The Rainbow Fish with Ms. Jonie every day before mommy picked me up. I didn't even need any help. But this puzzle was tricky and now I did need help. I couldn't ask mommy for help. She was in her room and there was a man with her. He smelled stinky. He smelled like mommy when she drank all the glass bottles. I turned to peek out the living room window. It was dark outside, they were probably sleeping now. My tummy growled as I frowned at my puzzle pieces.

"You hungry, kid?" A gruff voice chuckled.

I turned to look at the stinky man as he strolled into the living room. His heavy boots made the wooden floor creak. He took a seat on the couch behind me. I looked back at the TV, an episode of Blue's Clues was starting. I didn't like Blue's Clues but Mommy didn't like it when I stared at her "friends". The old clock on the wall ticked as I worked on my puzzle some more. Steve was singing the mail song when I felt an odd sensation at the back of my head. I tensed as I peeked at the man running his fingers through my hair. "So red." He mumbled. He smelled so bad. I didn't want him to touch me anymore. I pushed myself off of the floor. I was going to bed. My puzzle would have to wait until tomorrow.

But the man grabbed my wrist hard and pulled me back down to the floor. A sudden, terrified sob tore through me.

"Where are you going?" He laughed, as I tried to pull my wrist free. My teary blue eyes on his cold gray ones. I heard glass break in the kitchen.

The man looked toward the sound. "What the hell was that?" He released me and walked to the kitchen. As soon as he rounded the corner, I sprinted to my room. I heard the smelly man's booming voice one last time before I reached my door.

"Who the hell are y- gah!"

CRASH!

I slammed the door behind me and hid in the closet. There was no lock on my door, so I prayed he wouldn't follow me.

I didn't hear the man's voice anymore. This time the noise came from the other end of the house.

"James, what was that?" It was mommy. But she sounded... wrong. Her voice didn't sound right. I heard her footsteps as she passed my room, angrily strutting toward the living room.