Unsteady (18+)

*** This section of this book is R-rated. It is only a paragraph, but it is quiet an explicit paragraph. Younger readers, or readers sensitive to R-rated content should skip Seth's section of this chapter when this symbol appears "XXX" and continue reading at Scarlett's section marked with this symbol "xxx".***

Seth

I don't know how long I stayed there. My head covering her lap in a desperate attempt not only to keep her safe, but to keep her from running. She was silent, but her hand rested between my ears. I could sense her tranquility. The worst was over, it was all up to her now. Would she accept me? Still? Despite the lies and the hidden truths. Could Scarlett love me?

Without lifting my head from her lap, I relaxed my muscles. My snout retracted, the fur receded into my skin. My limbs shrunk, and my bones reassembled into those of a large, human male. I was myself again. I was kneeling now, on both knees in front of her. Shifting back in front of Scarlett wasn't the plan, but I needed to be close enough to catch her if she ran. My nakedness was the last thing on my mind, and likely a non-factor in her's, considering she couldn't see me. I took her face in my palm. She looked up at me, and what I saw was heartbreaking. I'd give anything just for her to be in that dazed, frozen form again. Anything was better than the hurt I saw in her eyes. Even in the rain I could see the her tears running like rivers down her pale cheeks, the whites of her eyes were red-rimmed. And her breaths began to come out in panting sobs.

"Scarlett!" I whispered, rising from my position and lifting her entire body into my arms. Her temperature was fine, it was pretty hard to be cold around me. But she needed to feel calm, and safe, and dry.

I carried her across the muddy lawn. Her sobs weren't letting up. And a sick feeling was building in my stomach. Was she afraid of me? I probably scared her half to death. I didn't do it right. Maybe she just needed to hear the words. I didn't need to wolf out right in front of her! God, what was wrong with me!

I lifted her up the stairs and shifted her slightly to open the door. The pack house was rarely empty but tonight, I was thankful the guys understood that this was something I needed to do alone. I lifted Scarlett up the stairwell and into the room I usually claimed on "work nights." I set her on the bed, and turned to the dresser digging through the drawers until I found an old T-shirt of mine and some gym shorts, probably Emily's, that looked about her size.

I turned back to face her. Her sobs had quieted to soft repetitive gasps.

"Baby." I whispered. Tucking a wet, red lock behind her ear. "You need to change clothes. You'll get sick in those, Love.

"Okay." She whispered. My heart was in pieces. Seeing her this way was breaking me apart. She'd been through hell today. And it was my fault. The guilt was a physical weight on my shoulders. She reached out into the space between us, her fingers extended and searching. I placed my hand in hers and gently squeezed her fingers.

"Why?" She whispered into the still air around us. The only sounds to be heard were those of the harsh rain droplets against the windowpane. "Why didn't you tell me?"

I looked at her incredulously, and though she couldn't see it, she responded as if she could sense it. "I wouldn't have believed your words, but if you'd shown me-"

"You would have ran." I finished for her. "You need to get out of those clothes." I go to release her hand. Prepared to give her a minute alone to change when she reaches out for my arm. She catches it, and pulls.

"I-" She starts, before shifting her blue eyes to the clothes in her lap. "Can you help me?"

XXX