Chpt. 4 Sit...Stay.

Seth's POV

As I carried my love to the nurse's office, I began to feel a strange pulling sensation in my chest. I looked down at Scarlett's angelic face and there they were, little rivers streaming from her eyes.

"Hey!" I whispered to her softly. I stopped in the middle of the hallway and began to rock her from side to side. "Shhh...shhh." I craddled her tighter.

"Huh." she chuckled without humor. "I guess I'm not the silent cryer I thought I was."

As much as I wanted to tell her that I could feel her sadness, I just chuckled along with her.

"What's wrong, Scarlett?"

"I just hate feeling so...helpless. I hate the fact that I can't even walk two steps without finding something to trip over. I hate that I have to be carried down the hallway like some helpless child. I hate being the only blind girl in all of La Push.

"Well, actually, you couldn't have picked a better place to live." I tell her reassuringly. "We look out for each other here. We take care of each other. And I know for a fact that my group of friends will take good care of you." I smiled.

"Hopefully they'll take better care of me than my 'helpful' buddy, Paul."

I stopped. "Was Paul the one who left you on the stairs?" I asked her in a dark voice that scared even me. I could hear the fear in Scarlett's voice as she responded with a soft "Yes." I began to shake. "Seth?" Scarlett asked me feeling the shivers that coursed through me. I set her down on a bench outside of the main office. "Hey, are you okay?" She asked me concerned. "Scarlett, don't move." I told her. I put my hands on my knees and began to breathe heavily to stop the shaking. In through the nose, out through the mouth. I imagined how this must look to Scarlett. A strange boy who grabbed her out of no where, probably scaring her out of her mind in the process, who insisted on carrying her down the hall just to stop in front of the main office to shake uncontrollably. While I'm convincing myself that I must look like the biggest creep on the face of the earth to Scarlett, I see her trying to get up. "Scarlett!" I rush to her side, wrap one hand under her elbow, and the other on her waist. "You okay?" I ask her. Instead of answering me, she does the unimaginable. She wraps her arms around my neck and pulls me into a hug. I stand there shocked. Hug her back! My subconscious shouts at me. I wrap my arms around her waist. The world around us could crumble to the ground. All there is right now is me and Scarlett.

"I know what it's like to be different." Scarlett says softly still enveloped in my arms. "You shake, I run into things. I guess it's just a part of who we are."

"If only you knew." I whisper back. Scarlett lets go and as much as I hate it, I do the same. "Come on." I say as I take her uninjured hand in mine. "Lets get you inside and have the nurse take a look at your wrist." We file inside the office.

As much as Scarlett calmed me down, "calm" being an understatement, I'll still be handling Paul later today for putting my Scarlett in danger. He'll be sure never to make that mistake again.

* Enjoying the story? Now there's a way to support and encourage the author as she pursues the publication of her first novel! Your donations also ensure continuous chapter updates for this story! Any and all donations are greatly appreciated! Thank you! Cash App: $AnnaQueen77 (Link in Bio)*