12. I'm A Wanderer

"Change is inevitable..."

- Jhené Aiko, "Spotless Mind"

                        ///Prince Royce///

        I had only known her for a little less than a month now, but I saw Aralon completely differently than I did a year ago.

        She still appeared slightly moody and serious but she wasn't exactly the primadonna with the stick up her ass that I had seen at the casting calls.

        It had been a few days since she came and I only saw her around the hotel a few times since then. We didn't really talk much after that night in her hotel room.

        That is, until one day I saw her in the main lobby of the hotel . She had her many suitcases packed and was on the phone with someone.

"Yeah. Just be here as soon as possible, please? Thank you.", she said urgently.

        I waited until she hung up to speak. "You're leaving? Already?" I couldn't see why.

        She looked at me like I was crazy, then shook her head in defeat. "Why does it matter?"

"Did you not get called back for the job?", I pressed on.

"Well, no but..."

"So you got it?"

"No...well, its just--I don't know. They said they'd call back by today..."

"So why not wait until tomorrow to pack up and leave just 'cause things got a little tough?"

"I'm not gonna make it, Royce.", she said. I could hear the doubt in her voice.

"You're just gonna leave? Just like that? You're not gonna try anything else."

        She shook her head. "Why should I? My career is over...if it ever really even started. I appreciate the effort, Royce, but no one's gonna want to hire me. Besides, maybe its time to go home anyway... Doña Francesca needs me."

        I didn't know why, but it really bothered me that she was about to give up on all this so fast. "You must not really care then. I thought you were doing this for her anyway? Why not give things another chance?"

"She needs me.", repeated Aralon.

"Exactly. She needs you to stay here and pursue your career and do what's best for you."

"I don't want what's best for me, though.", she huffed.

"Well, that's what's best for her."

        She raised her eyebrow slightly. "How do you know all this?"

"She told me.", I said simply. "When I gave her the money."

        Aralon sighed. "Its gonna be fine. I'm not cut out stay down here anyway. Things tend to change for me when I least expect it, so I never let myself get too comfortable. Everything is temporary."

"I think that's a terrible way to look at things.", I said honestly. "I mean, yeah, things change but what if that change is for the better? What if you do book something down here?"