18. Terms and Conditions

"Wash the worries off your mind tonight..."

-Travis Garland, "Motel Pool"

///

///Prince Royce///

Nah. I couldn't catch feelings. It wasn't my thing. That wasn't me. I immediately pushed that thought out of the way. I was just a nice guy.

Being single was great. I mean, all my relationships didn't exactly end well. I wasn't exactly trying to relive that.

Then I looked at Aralon, leaning against my car. The light from the sunset made her jet black hair shine. She looked bothered by everything, like she did all the time. She'd probably rip my heart out and eat it if I even tried to pursue anything past friendship with her, if you could even call it that. I sighed. I couldn't exactly put my finger on what made me feel like I did.

"You do realize if you refuse any of my challenges, you'll lose the bet.", I told her. I knew she was competitive and prideful and wouldn't let me win that easy.

She raised an eyebrow. "Who said I'm gonna refuse?"

"I don't know.", I said. "I'm just confident in the fact you're a robot."

She rolled her eyes, but I still saw a hint of a smile. "Alright then, Royce. What's your first 'challenge'?"

"Well, I'm glad you asked that, Ms. Fernandez. One of the key points of human nature is the art of being spontaneous."

"So you're a phycologist now?", she questioned.

I shook my head. "No, I just now how to live. "

"Well, then. Tell me more about this art of spontaneity."

"We're going swimming."

"Where are gonna find a pool in the beginning of January?"

"That just adds to the spontaneous-ness of it."

"You're joking right?"

"Do I hear the sound of defeat already?"

She gave me a look that said "bitch, you thought" as she headed back towards the store without a word. I tagged along, wondering what I said wrong.

"There you two are.", said Doña Francesca once the little bells at the door rang.

"What I wanna know is what the hell you two were doing out there. It's cold as shit.", chimed Ronaldo.

"Ronaldo, language." , said Doña Francesca sternly. She turned back to me and Aralon.

"Could I take the rest of the night off?", asked Aralon abruptly.

"I don't see why not...you've been pulling more than your weight around here.", said Doña Francesca, after giving it some thought. "But can I ask why?"

"Its a learning process.", she replied vaguely, shooting me a sideways glance.

Doña Francesca looked from Aralon to me, and back again. "Sure. I don't see any problem with it."

"Great.", said Aralon with a smile. "I'll see you tomorrow. Stay safe, okay?" She gave her a hug and took off to the exit.

"Have a nice night, ma'am.", I told Doña Francesca before turning to leave, myself.

"Wait a second.", she called. "I wanted to talk to you, copete boy."

Copete boy? Where did she get...? Oh. "Yes?"

"If you don't come back alive, I wanted to let you know I appreciate all that you're doing for Aralon."

"Its nothing. Really.", I assured her.