21. Hope

"Even when you sleep in my bed, I know you're not mine officially..."

- Majid Jordan feat. Drake, "My Love"

///

"No, I don't care if you guys are fucking or whatever, Air. 'Long as he doesn't hurt you, we're good.", said Ronaldo. He had been trying to get a response out of me for a while now.

"Did I ask if you approved or not?", I retorted.

"Nope. But look where that's gotten you before."

"Do you ever shut up?", I asked, glaring at him.

He shrugged. "When have I ever hurt you by looking out for you?"

I ignored him. He had a point, but I didn't care. The little bells outside the door chimed.

"I have arrived.", said Mia in a theatrical tone.

"Mia, please tell her that we're only overbearing because we want what's best for her."

"Aralon,", said Mia, turning to me. "We're only overbearing because we want what's best for you."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, whatever."

"Mia, sweetie, are you planning on buying anything today?", called Doña Francesca from the back of the store.

"Oh, right.", whenever she had the time, Mia would stop by. It had been her routine since we were around 15 years old. Doña Francesca would always make a point to hint at how she wasn't one for loitering, but Mia would buy something stupid and Doña Francesca would always let it slide.

"Ah-hah." Mia tossed todays excuse on the counter. Today it was a bag of chips. Lay's lightly salted. I almost rolled my eyes. They reminded me of Royce and his sarcastic remarks, which led me back to thinking about last night. I didn't know how to explain how I was feeling. It was a sort of weird regret but not quite. I don't know. My head was in all the wrong places.

Just then like some evil witchcraft sent out to destroy me, the devil himself appeared in the doorway accompanied by the jingling of bells.

"Aralon, copete boy is here.", said Doña Francesca, like I hadn't already noticed.

"Copete boy, huh?", said Royce. "I think I like that."

///Prince Royce///

The first person to come forward was the girl who I had met a week or two ago, who I assumed to be Aralon's friend.

"I don't think we've been properly introduced yet.", she said, putting a hand out to shake. "I'm Mia, Aralon's best friend."

"I'm Royce, Aralon's..."

"Acquaintance.", chimed in Aralon quickly.

"Yeah, we'll go with that.", I said, going along with whatever little game Aralon was playing now.

"Well, It's nice to meet you.", said Mia.

"Um, Royce?", said Aralon loudly, a big (and fake) smile plastered on her face. "Can I ask why you're here."

"Um, because we agreed I would come pick you up later. It's later.", I told her. I couldn't tell what was up with her. I didn't know why I was surprised though. I couldn't count the number of mood swings she had since I met her on one hand.

The door to the entrance opened and we all turned to see who it was, like we were waiting on someone. This was a bodega, not a surprise party. In walked a guy, that I didn't recognize, but everyone else sure seemed to.